Accenta 8 Mini alarm system - power failure & dead rkp

Duff batteries will often blow this resistor on the Optima/Accenta panels and I'd say it's not economical to repair due to other components that may have also been damaged.

The Accenta is a reliable domestic panel if it's looked after so to keep things simple, I'd recommend you stick to the G4. The terminal descriptions are common to both models so it would be an easy swap. You can simply replace the PCB and the mains transformer, re-program and test and bob's your dad's brother. The programming isn't the easiest to follow but it's not impossible. Just remember to change your battery every 3 years and you shouldn't get any more problems :)

Sponsored Links
It is possible to replace the resistor but with that amount of scorch the copper tracks to which the resistor is soldered will need to be strengthened or repaired. If they are not they will not be mechanically strong enough to hold the resistor and are likely to snap breaking the circuit.

The repair is to solder tinned copper wire along the damaged tracks from where the track is not damaged upto and forming a ring around the hole for the resistor lead. Before soldering the wire to the track the solder resist coating on the track has to be removed by carefully scraping without cutting the copper. After soldering the wire with care coat the repair with expoy resin (ensuring the ring is NOT coated) to fix it firmly to the board.. The new resistor can then be soldered in place using the two rings.

As I said the carbonised board may be conductive and introduce un-wanted connections.

There may be other damaged components.

If you have the time then a repair is worth an attempt but I personally would not be happy with such a repair long term if reliable operation was essential

resistor colour is yellow / violet / black with gold

replacement pcb

110995767125 ebay

Sponsored Links
Regarding the reprogramming of my existing panel to get me by for a few days...
How on earth do I program a set-up (say prog 2) to omit the upstairs at nigh time as I cant figure the manual out for this

Hello ddma,

Have you got both the user and installation manuals ? if not, send me a private message with your e.mail address and I'll get them off to you as e.maill attachments. After all the 'hulla balloo' are you ready to get down to business now ? Bear in mind that Sparkymarka, a good, solid engineer, has suggested a possible 'burn out' and we can not ignore comments coming from the likes of him. That may be the best place to start given the circumstances. Don't worry, we'll sort it within the next twenty four hours or so, or whenever is most convenient for yourself.

Take care mate,

Chain Daisy.

Hello DDMA

Further to my previous post.

Unfortunately, during the short time I have been a member of this forum, I have suffered an intolerable degree of abuse, from the same minority of members, which emanated from my chastisement of another member who grossly insulted a member of the public for daring to ask a reasonable question. I have no intention of reliving the details but that abuse and uncorroborated innuendo made it severely difficult to take those genuine queries made by members of the public to a satisfactory step by step conclusion. I feel that in the circumstances, unless I am allowed the freedom to offer a small token of help without unjustified harrasment and abuse, it is not within my capacity to continue contributing. At this time, therefore, I feel that it is only fair to yourself and also to the good name of DIYnot, that I forego any further involvement with genuine queries from members of the public for the foreseeable future. I shall however drop in to the security forum from time to time in order to review the posts. I trust that you shall receive the help you require from other members.

May I take this opportunity to offer you my best wishes for the future.

Chain Daisy.

I don't know what you're all arguing over really and I certainly don't want to take sides. The advice from each and everyone of you has been much more than I expected and I thank you all for taking the time to help me out.

So to summarise where I am with this panel - I see the easiest and probably most economical all round in the long term is to bite the bullet (when funds allow) and buy a new panel for £40 complete with RKP (buttons on existing one are getting a little sticky anyhow). Replace with Accenta G4.

chaindaisy - you asked if I have the manuals and user card. Yes I do and I've tried following the procedure but it doesn't mention anywhere about omitting a zone, in that I assume that an unselected zone means its omitted by default. Trouble is my upstairs zone (6) omitted and hallway (2) time delay won't play ball according to this logic. I can simply omit zone 6 and run upstairs but its easy to get caught by the sensor in the hallway if not fast on your feet. I just want to have a program like I used to that does all this in one.

So, to get this back on track after the spat......

I have the manuals and user card. I've tried the programming procedure but it doesn't mention anywhere about omitting a zone, in that I assume that an unselected zone means its omitted by default. Trouble is my upstairs zone (6) omitted and hallway (2) time delay won't play ball according to this logic. I can simply omit zone 6 and run upstairs but its easy to get caught by the sensor in the hallway if not fast on your feet. I just want to have a program like I used to that does all this in one.

Does anybody actually know how to go about programming this alarm panel?

Have you sorted this problem yet. If not, send me a private message, this is long overdue for an answer.

Take Care.

Hi ddma,

Send me a private message with your e.mail address. I'll explain and we can take a good look at the panel at the same time. At the moment you have no standby battery inside the control panel and there are a few other problems with the control panel which we can sort out.

Take care mate,

Good to hear from you.

Finally got round to buying a new Accenta Mini G4 panel and keypad to replace the Accenta 8.

I have wired it up exactly as previous panel was wired and would now like to know what the correct procedure is for me to power up and get this new panel working with least amount of hassle. BTW I have removed tamper loops on terminals and wired as old panel was wired up.

Currently no battery fitted and no mains supply wired in.

Thanks for quick response

I was called to an alarm a few weeks ago where the panel and battery had been in for about 13-14 years without 1 service or battery replacement. I recommended a major upgrade to a G4 with a new Battery, Panel and Keypad. The bell box was still the same one as it was 14 years ago and was probably dead about 10 or 9 years ago and has not worked since, he had no PIR's because he has Cats and Dogs so it only had about 3 or 4 zones but upon replacing the keypad, Bell box and Panel the system was fine, although after I left commissioning the system I took a look over the old panel and it was I think a Accenta 6 and there was also scorching over near the VLR and I have seen it a lot from old panels I have been called to to service or replace and I have never yet seen scorching from the new G4 panels. I think you did right upgrading your panel. But now you need to look after the system, service it every year and give it a walk test and replace the battery every 3 years. How long has your bell box been up? If it is more than 5 years again this need replacing as they now have whats called a SAB Self Actuating Bell it basically has a battery built in the bell box and normally only last about 5 years although if you think about it is out all year round it all types of weather and after 3 years it is a very good idea to replace this as it will likely have some corrosion in it as that one I took off was completely dead, (I mean even no status lights was on) to prevent any unexpected alarms from the tamper spring waking you and everyone up on your street at 1 a clock in the morning.

Hope this helps you.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back