Access to neighbours roof

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My next door neighbours garage is joined to the gable end of my house. My roof needs replacing, but they will need to put scaffolding on neighbours roof.

Shes that crazy lady everyone has on their street and I doubt very much that she will agree to it.

Has anyone else here been in a similar situation and how did u resolve it? The roof was temporarily repaired 4 years ago, but the slate battens are rotten and its just reached the end of its life.

Sponsored Links
Get a firm that will work from the front and rear scaffold only, as your wont need to access the verge. A continuous dry verge would deal with needing to work from the gable.

Otherwise, Access to Neighbouring Land Act 1992

The fascias and soffits all need replacing too.... there are asbestos sofits that need to be removed first. Cant imagine they can do all that without accessing the gable. Ill post a pic....

20220203_171902.jpg

20220203_171922.jpg

20220203_171957.jpg

20220203_172044.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Sponsored Links
The rear conservatory would make it even more difficult

I'm wondering whether to leave the fascias and soffits on the gable.... they were capped over 4 years ago and still look good, but I know the wood underneath em (Fascias) is well rotten and I'm concerned if I don't replace em now, ill need to do it on a few years anyway and I'll have to deal with it all again. While the scaff is up, I suppose it makes sense to do it now.

Its the soffits that are asbestos, under the capping, not the fascias. The fascias are rotten wood under the upvc capping

If the covered fascia is not getting wet, then it won't be rotting.

Scaffolding could be erected standing entirely on your property, along the front and back walls, and then overhang the neighbour's garage without touching it.

Scaffolding could be erected standing entirely on your property, along the front and back walls, and then overhang the neighbour's garage without touching it.
Anything across the boundary, even a cantilevered bridging unit, needs permission if the landowner.

Surely the first port of call is to simply knock and ask the neighbour before speculating about anything else.

Of course..... but this is a woman who blocked the entire cul de sac with her and her husbands car in the middle of summer for no apparent reason for 24 hours - no cars in, no cars out. When it finally boiled over and several people confronted her.... her reason was because 8 months earlier, another neighbour had had some trees removed and some saw dust blew on her drive and nobody offered to sweep it off. She's a complete arse and I know exactly what her response will be. I was asking on here for how other people have dealt with similar problems. I will of course 'try' and speak to her..... but she's beyond any kind of reason.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back