Accessing chimney stack for repointing on a butterfly roof

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm looking for advice on how to access two chimney stacks for repointing on a butterfly roof of a Victorian house. I have scaffold at the front of the property but want to know the best way of getting to the chimneys.

20171105_121721.jpg
20171105_121713.jpg

Sponsored Links
Looking at those chimneys,I'd be more inclined to cut them down, and then rebuild just the bottom sections, or take them out completely if they're not being used. The bottom of the chimneys look in a serious condition, and I'm not sure if repointing them is sufficient, and will need redoing again in a few years or so.

The scaffolders will lay a board in the valley, and then other boards up the slope of the roof, and then construct a collar around the chimneys. But be very specific as to what part of the chimney you want to access, as they have a bad habit of assuming you just want to work on the chimney pots,and then bugger you for access to the rest.

I don't think he will be able to knock them down they might be part of somebody's roof terrace.

Well done Catlad, there was something niggling that I had to mention but got sidetracked. But it still might be worth talking to the neighbours about either dropping them down, or removing them, as their side will also be in a bad state. He might be able to get the costs shared.

Sponsored Links
Should be an easy scaffold task. But get that rubbish cleared out first or they might walk all over it ...
You have a broken Cement fibre fake slate that needs replacing , Its a leak onto the underlay

Chimneys require some deep pointing and a brick or two replaced. .
They have been pointed in Sand and cement in the past, but built in lime mortar
Better they are pointed in the build material. They will look the part and last longer.

nothing wrong with your chimney stacks an connecting wall/parapet?
like the others have said rake out an cut out spelched bricks, remove flaunching and redo flaunching as you reset the pots.
the compo fillets instead of flashing presumbly work.
scaff access is simple with care for the fragile slates.
if you posted pics of the other side of the job it would show more.
what material is the valley gutter?

Thanks for all the advice - roof cleaned and broken tiles replaced and now just waiting for bricklayer to repoint.

what about the flaunching an the dividing walls, there top courses need rebuilding.
is the pointing missing frim the hip tiles?
how did you solve access?

looks rubber to me too. There is not any pointing missing on the hips. They appear to have been secret bedded .. Just a poor choice of hips on a slate roof.
Dont be tempted to point the sides in , it will just fall out next summer

I can't post pictures of other side as it is the neighbouring property - here's a photos of the front:

scr1.png

I'll get my builder to look at the flaunching - thanks for for the heads up.

But have you spoken to the neighbour about it's condition, as there's no point in just doing one side to make it look pretty.

I think it's rendered the other side - unfortunately it's a rented property and getting hold of the landlords can be difficult.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back