Accident

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
While waiting in a turn right queue the other day, 7.5 tonner passed us on the inside. He was close to the kerb but not touching it, yet he smashed his door mirror off on a signpost. It was a standard two-post sign giving directions at the approaching junction.

Lucky there were no pedestrians around!

But that got me thinking...surely the sign is too close to the road if a vehicle driving on it can collide with it?

Sponsored Links
drains are about 12-15 inches and you're supposed to drive far enough away to avoid them..

also some of these lorries have huge side mirrors to see round wide loads and things..

seen some about 18-20 inches off the side of the cab..

As if you can avoid drains, when the road is only just wide enough for 2 cars! And these places are normally where the drain is about 6 inches lower than the road surface - just to really hack everyone off.

Sponsored Links
So you reckon it's right that in the course of driving your vehicle on the road it could collide with the street furniture?

Its no different to driving down a narrow road with no pavements and buildings either side. You need to allow for the width of your vehicle.

I know its not the same, but on my route home from work theres some narrow country lanes with bushes down one side (bordering woodland), down the bushes there is a horizontal groove at wing-mirror height :LOL:

That will be becuase the farmer has had the good sense and curtesey to cut a groove, so your wing mirrors are safe Steve. :LOL:

He was just driving down the road when his mirror caught the corner of the sign.

To my mind, the sign must be too close to the road if it can be struck by traffic travelling on the road, surely?

If the poles were in the pedestrian area then part of the vehicle was off the road and in the pedestrian area. That's how I see it.

Good thing it was only a sign and not a person.

Was the bottom of the sign above head height? several signs are too low and people have walked into them.

Lorry drivers (in my opinion) are 'steering wheel attendants'

A few years ago I had shared the 'unit' with a mate who had a week off and helped me put a heating system into a property owned by a member of the family.

He asked me to spend a week with him and help with driving (Im Class 1 registered).

Well, he averaged 22 hours driving a day and did the other 2 hours. Ive never seen so many motorways in so many countries and the amount of shredded (sic) taco's

Dave

Sponsored Links
Back