Accreditation Needed?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi.
I work at a school and my employer wants much of the electrical work to be done in-house. So they decided to pay for me to go to college. I'm in the first year of the 2330, and I'll be doing the 2391, and the regs course next year.
Are there any other courses that might be a good idea to go on. Also, will I need to join a competent persons scheme to sign off work in the school premises?

Sponsored Links
no need for competent person scheme unless the school has living quarters? since it's not a dwelling..

you may need to consult the local authority regarding what their rules are re-schools..

PAT testing would be a good idea also since you can then test all the equipment in the school... ( projectors, kettles etc.. )

Thanks for the reply.
The school does have 2 flats that the caretakers live in. I guess this changes things?

only in so much as the flats and anything powered from the flats supply would come under part P..

Sponsored Links
Well, the 2 flats are seperated by some distance and are fed by the school supply not independently.

It is my understanding that, if the flat shares the same supply as the school then Part P applies to both the flat and the school....

I didn't think it did..

Part P applies to electrical installations that are:

(A) in or attatched to a dwelling;
(B) in the common parts of a building serving one or more dwellings, but excluding power supplies to lifts;
(C) in a building that recieves it's electricity from a source located within or shared with a dwelling or;
(D) in a garden or in or on land associated with a building where the electricity is from a source located within or shared with a dwelling..

so the houses and anything powered FROM the houses, but not the school since it's not fed FROM the houses..

but the more I read section (C) and (D) I'm not sure since the electricity for the school would be from a source shared with the dwelling..
argggg...

like I said, best to consult the local authority since it's their rules you'll have to follow with it being a public building..

Virtually every school I have worked in require you to have NICEIC full scope approved status.

Is a few college courses really enough experience to be working unsupervised on commercial installations?

Virtually every school I have worked in require you to have NICEIC full scope approved status.

Is a few college courses really enough experience to be working unsupervised on commercial installations?

I don't suppose so, but my employer is trying to get me on a placement to get some practical experience.

but the more I read section (C) and (D) I'm not sure since the electricity for the school would be from a source shared with the dwelling..
argggg...
How far back do you go to decide if a source is shared?

One heck of a lot of properties sharing Drax for example...

the source stops where the DNO feed enters the premises.. at the service head...

in this case I'd hazard a guess at a 400-800A main switch into a busbar chamber or big distribution panel..

but that's what's got me saying arggg...

when I originally read it I thought it meant in a block of flats where the meters are under the stairs etc, or a shop with a flat above with the service head split either in the shop or in the flat etc.....

In that case, if the dwellings and the school are all downstream of the same service head then the regulations are absolutely clear that Part P applies to work within the school because the school receives its electricity from a source shared with a dwelling....

Allow me to clarify guys. The two flats are in seperate blocks of the school, above classrooms, and don't have a seperate meter for their supply. I'm presuming they are fed from the school supply.

so the flats themselves form part of the structure of the school buildings?
they are not 2 physically seperate flats on the outskirts of the school property?

in which case yes, all of the school would come under part P..

not entirely sure you need to be a member of a certified scheme though since its a Local Authority facility ( unless it's privately owned? ), and most things will likely have to go through them anyway.. ( seems stupid to pay yourself notification fees?? )

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back