Accumulators

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
What do I need to watch out for before installing one?

I've got a customer that's had a bit of a carp install done and they've ended up with an UV cylinder connected to mains that's not up to it. Standing pressure is 3.5 - 4.0bar but when a tap is opened it drops right off to 1.0bar (the gauge is on the cylinder inlet) i'm thinking accumulator is the best way to go.

Am I right in thinking it'll increase pressure, but flow depends on the pipes round the house being correctly sized?

What size accumulator is best? Is it meant to be equal to the size of the UV cylinder?

Anyone know of any good websites I can take a look at?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Be very careful with an accumulator. There is clearly a flow restriction and if that is close to the cylinder, your work will be for nothing.

Sponsored Links
Be very careful with an accumulator. There is clearly a flow restriction and if that is close to the cylinder, your work will be for nothing.

In this case the pipework in the house is sized ok and the flow restriction is between the stop-cock in the road and the house.

Isn't that what accumulators are designed to over come?

We don't really want to be digging up the customers drive.

They don't increase pressure but maintain it for a short while at the "charged pressure"

Yea I see what you mean. Would it be more accurate to say it increases dynamic pressure for a limited time? That limited time would depend on the size of the accumulator I supose.

So with that in mind an accumulator of at least equal size to the cylinder would be needed.

Thanks!

We don't really want to be digging up the customers drive.
Of course not, we've got plenty of ee's to do that for 50 squid a day.
It will be a much better way of solving the problem, and probably cheaper as well. AND you get fresh mains water in stead of dubious stuff from a tank.

it will only help your on flow rates, not on pressure, it will only pressure up to water ever your mains pressure is or the pressure set on the combination valve, however if you have the pressure but limited flow rate it will help in a big way, very easy to instal, just cut a tee in after your combination valve and before the cylinder, subject to pipe sizing after the unvented you can get good results, think of it as an expansion vessel that is holding the pressure because of a check valve, it cannot increase the pressure only store a volume of water at a set pressure

if you have the size and cash for an acc. then personally id opt for the grundfos homebooster instead.

200litre break tank with built in acc. based pressure pump.

As your static pressure is good [4 bar] I would think it is worth while to renew the main for a good flow rate at that pressure, rather than spend money on an accumulator.

I would agree with both the non acc options.

Supply upgrades are not time limited and need no maintenance.

The home booster is big and noisy but good in a cellar.

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back