Accurately cutting small squares of wood

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I have a project where I have to accurately cut wood squares of 1.5 inch square from a larger piece of wood.

The squares will contain a photograph so it needs to be accurate ( each sheet of wood will have a number of the square images printed on it).

Given the small area of the wood and the accuracy requirements, what would ve the best way of achieving this? I'm thinking a benchsaw perhaps?

The wood has a depth of half an inch.

Any advice gratefully received!

Sponsored Links
What size is the timber you're cutting down? What type of wood is it? How many do you need to cut?

I was thinking of getting a table saw. Then I decided not to after seeing some youtube videos of accidents. Table saws are very dangerous is all I can say. An inexperienced user will likely to run into accidents.

Google says:

How common are table saw accidents?

In the context of the general population of 310 million Americans, about one in 9,000 will go to the emergency room in any given year after tangling with their table saw, one in 80,000 will have a medical report that lists the word “amputation” and one in 160,000 will lose one or more fingers or a thumb.11 Feb 2011

What woodworking tool has the most accidents?

Table Saw

Table Saw. A dreaded table saw is a ubiquitous yet hazardous piece of woodworking equipment. Boasting an incredibly precise and dangerously sharp circular blade spinning at high speeds, the slightest contact with it can cause severe injuries if one's hands are not kept well away from its reach.20 Mar 2023

Scrollsaw if you need machinery, coping saw if you want to cut it by hand. Sanding to tidy the edges of the pieces up.

Sponsored Links
I was thinking of getting a table saw. Then I decided not to after seeing some youtube videos of accidents. Table saws are very dangerous is all I can say. An inexperienced user will likely to run into accidents.
Table saws can be used safely.
I suspect most of your YouTube videos are from America. For some unfathomable reason, they don't use guards on their machines.
...and always use a push stick.

Google says:

In the context of the general population of 310 million Americans, about one in 9,000 will go to the emergency room in any given year after tangling with their table saw, one in 80,000 will have a medical report that lists the word “amputation” and one in 160,000 will lose one or more fingers or a thumb.11 Feb 2011

Table Saw

Table Saw. A dreaded table saw is a ubiquitous yet hazardous piece of woodworking equipment. Boasting an incredibly precise and dangerously sharp circular blade spinning at high speeds, the slightest contact with it can cause severe injuries if one's hands are not kept well away from its reach.20 Mar 2023
You're talking about Americans. 'Nuff said. :LOL:

Google says:

Table Saw

US table saw accidents are massively skewed (compared to the EU) in part because of the fact that US table saws do not require a blade cover. Additionally, they, Americans, can use wobble blades. Table saws in the UK/EU cannot. It is not physically possible to fit one to a EU compliant table saw.

All powered machines are dangerous if you don't use them correctly and take all the correct precautions.
Power saws, (table, plunge, circular), can be safe tools if used correctly and maintained correctly.
It's the 'tool' using it that is the danger.

Hi

I have a project where I have to accurately cut wood squares of 1.5 inch square from a larger piece of wood.

The squares will contain a photograph so it needs to be accurate ( each sheet of wood will have a number of the square images printed on it).

Given the small area of the wood and the accuracy requirements, what would ve the best way of achieving this? I'm thinking a benchsaw perhaps?

The wood has a depth of half an inch.

Any advice gratefully received!

1.5 inch square means about 1.2 inch by 1.2 inch.

I would go with a bandsaw. Cut lengths of 1.2" and then cross cut the individual 1.2", or use a chop saw for the smaller cuts from the longer stock. For the square cuts, the chopsaw will be more accurate than the bandsaw.

A 1.5" square photo frame?
Put the damn thing in a passport like everyone else.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back