Add extra light switch

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi daughter has only one switch in her kitchen so none at the outside door coming in so she has to cross the room to switch the light on. So what would I need to look for to add a second switch ( existing wiring at switch or light) ?
Thanks

Sponsored Links
Another cable - three core and earth - run between existing switch and new switch.

Or possibly a modern wireless arrangement.

Sponsored Links
I used a smart relay which I built into the lamp, switch for landing lights was at front door which is never used, needed switch at base of stairs.

Hey Google turn on landing lights works well, switch still works although now extra low voltage, like any other two way switch with voice commands or phone app.

Smart switch, bulb, relay all have plus and minus points, I have Energenie smart switches, advantage it works direct with up to 3 remote controls, down side to work with phone or Nest Mini it needs a hub, and some bulbs stay on dim or have a shimmer when on, the default is off, so any power cut and lights stay off.

The smart bulb problem is every make seems to need a diffrent app to set it up, but to date all can then work with Google Home so Google Nest Mini can control them, and only one device needs the app for that bulb. Default normally on, so turn light switch off then back on, and lights work, some need a hub zigbee for example, some can use remote controls, TCP it seems does one for their bulbs, but if wall switch off, they don't work.

The relay does not matter if wall switch on or off, can't remember if it was zigbee or direct, but need room to mount it.

I have found the use of 2.4 Ghz not 5 Ghz a problem getting the router to switch to 2.4 Ghz for setting them up, found tablet worked OK to set up, phone a problem, but once setup phones worked A1.

I used a smart relay which I built into the lamp, switch for landing lights was at front door which is never used, needed switch at base of stairs.

Hey Google turn on landing lights works well, switch still works although now extra low voltage, like any other two way switch with voice commands or phone app.

Smart switch, bulb, relay all have plus and minus points, I have Energenie smart switches, advantage it works direct with up to 3 remote controls, down side to work with phone or Nest Mini it needs a hub, and some bulbs stay on dim or have a shimmer when on, the default is off, so any power cut and lights stay off.

The smart bulb problem is every make seems to need a diffrent app to set it up, but to date all can then work with Google Home so Google Nest Mini can control them, and only one device needs the app for that bulb. Default normally on, so turn light switch off then back on, and lights work, some need a hub zigbee for example, some can use remote controls, TCP it seems does one for their bulbs, but if wall switch off, they don't work.

The relay does not matter if wall switch on or off, can't remember if it was zigbee or direct, but need room to mount it.

I have found the use of 2.4 Ghz not 5 Ghz a problem getting the router to switch to 2.4 Ghz for setting them up, found tablet worked OK to set up, phone a problem, but once setup phones worked A1.
Thanks I have shelly’s and Aqara controlling my home but she just wanted a switch, so will see what she decides

I did not set out to go smart, little problems with heating and alarms started it, then found no radio reception in new house, so Nest Mini was cheap way around the problem.

The cost of hubs is a big stumbling block, but one one has one, costs very little to add to it.

However lighting, heating, and audio are all connected, if I was starting from scratch with knowledge I have now, likely would be diffrent route.

However wife losing use of her fingers, when Google commends don't work, she moves to Hey Eric.

Anyone fitted these at a ceiling light have any difficulty fitting it ?
Sorry, I haven't personally used Quinetic.
I have both LightwaveRF and Sonoff remote switches and I haven't had any issues with them.
From what I have read, Quinetic seem to be held in good regard.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back