add wireless PIR in shed to existing system - possible?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
I have a wired eurosec alarm system and am looking at option to add an alarm to a detached shed.

The shed is about 15-20m away from the alarm control unit, but the unit is in the loft and it would have line of sight to the shed.
There is also no power in shed, and I don't really want to run any.

Is this possible, and likely to work very well?

I assume I'd have to buy a battery powered PIR and a mains powered receiver, and just wire it into my existing setup as a wired sensor?

Sponsored Links
Thanks, that's the sort of thing I was thinking about.
But it's a little more than I was thinking about - anything a bit cheaper, or is this my only option?

That panel should take the wireless expander and then their standard wireless pir will suffice. Overall cost won't be any cheaper than the earlir option though.

Sponsored Links
There's also the option of the Visonic WR-300 wireless reciever. This will accept a Visonic PIR. Job sorted - cost would again be the stumbling block.
OP, you need to raise your budget to get what you need.

I would not select the first option - like the Response stuff pp3 batteries have a dire life expectancy.... 6 month upwards :cry:

However it was the cheapest option.
The battery life is stated.

I see no offer of an alternative, your point was?

The point was I saw it as a poor solution as with only a six month battery life and the sensor tucked away in a shed there is every possibility that it would have expired forgotten and ultimately not have done the job required.

I do not have a solution in relation to teaming up to the eurosec system but as you say it's best to point out potential pitfalls to people - that is what you told me wasn't it ;)

Anyway he could buy one of these and put the siren on the back of his house second floor near his bedroom window..
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/YALE-HSA6...2098?pt=UK_Burglar_Alarms&hash=item415bfc8d22

Use one of these as a sensor
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/YALE-WIRE...3965?pt=UK_Burglar_Alarms&hash=item1c25075d7d

and control them both with one of these -

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/YALE-ALAR...2039?pt=UK_Burglar_Alarms&hash=item3f14b6ec67

That would be a workable shed alarm and much better in my view than the shed alarm that have the sounders within.

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
This is not hijacking a thread stop being so paranoid this is warning someone about the possible defficiencies of a piece of equipment.

I remember how important you told me it was to do that.
In my view reccommending something with only 6 months potential battery life or possibly worse in poor circumstances I thought the point should be highlighted.

As stated the option given was also cost considered as it was going to be. Fitting something at the back of the house separate to the existing system is a foolish thing to do as it will not be logged or do many other things that it could do being linked to the existing. Such as be part of multiple part sets, be heard from the street, and if there is comms it can notify from the existing.

When you consider things you have to take into account more than one aspect.

Actually your still showing your lack of technical knowledge, offering a poor substitute. Who wants two separate systems in their property?

But your trying.
Perhaps this is what you needed to finally understand things.
So by all means ask, its better than making so many errors.

As you have just said you know nothing about this system.

The gentleman was on a cost issue - thats why the option of a complete second system if it beat that cost was mentioned.
Anyway I thought you said all Yale alarms were good for was sheds - have you changed your mind.

If the chap has a siren on his wall it will wake him up and scare off the intruder it also has an 2 yr battery life in such a deployment. The shed is within range and it makes sense as an alternative to spending lots on the existing system. Not only that but it can be left independently set. It only has to be unset when he wants to go into the shed meabibg that at night when he comes home from work he will still have protection. Under normal circumstances most homes even with alarms are vunerable when people come home from work as they turn the alarm off. The alarms are then only sometimes turned on again when everyone goes to bed.
Therefore I claim £5 for offering an eminently practical solution.

Again you lack understanding.
You did say you have no idea did you not.

Integrated into the existing on a 24hr zone the shed is protected at all times.
When a full or part set is made it is automatically taken back into the system after any use of the said and being disarmed. No worries about ONE alarm system and a shed alarm being separate.

When there is a low battery it is reported. It is also going to make a decent sounder activate, far louder than what you suggest.

Your correct in what you suggest as a shed alarm, but as it does not integrate as asked for it was a totally invalid suggestion.

I suggest you read the original question, then try and apply something that actually works as asked for.
Then go to a basic electrical/security site and look up 24hr zones.

As for monetary gain for giving advise on here, I think that is against the rules.

Your still not really grasping this security game are you.

stop arguing, yaleguy3 has a good idea there, but it doesn't link in with the main eurosec.
i'd say texecom wireless expander ( 8XP-W) and wireless PIR, perhaps texecom wireless PIR (PRESTIGE QD-W) in to an empty zone on the eurosec

be careful around mains voltage.

Your solution was outside his financial reach that's why I suggested another.
I did not say that the shed could not have been programmed within an existing system as a 24hr device. I know that can be done you can do it within Yale systems too.
However messing about switching off 24hr zones and switching them on again is much harder with a typical control panel especially an older one. It is not intuitive.
My suggestion still stands as it is a viable alternative.

What would your suggestion actually cost and lets have a proper pir not a mickey mouse 6 month one.
So the cost of
1 x wireless pir
1 x wireless reciever
cable
anything else needed to make the above system work.
How would you get the wireless pir to be registered with the wireless reciever?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back