Adding a 1g 2w switch, plz could u check my diagrams!!??

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there!

This is my first post, looks like a good forum, plenty of useful info.

I am wanting to add a 1g 2 way switch to a 3g 2w switch, as the middle switch on the 3g switch which leads to the light in the conservatory is currently just used as 1w, but we've made the conservatory bigger and have an extra doorway going in from the kitchen so could do with a light switch there aswell as the existing one is by the other door in the hallway (the 3g 2w switch).
I'm used to the basic principles of electrics (learnt a bit from my old boy over the years, but alas he is no longer with us to rely on)
I think I have got the method right but would hugley appreciate if someone in the know to could check over my diagrams to confirm and/or correct?
I've had a browse at the Electric info sticky's which are good, the only difference I have really is that the mains cable and cable to the light has been added when the old conservatory was first put up.

Here what I'm thinking: (all on the middle switch on the existing 3g, using 1mm 3 core & earth to link the existing and new switch)

- Move the Red L which is currently in Common to L2
- Leave the wire to the light in L1
- Then Com to Com, L2 to L2 and L1 to L1 and connect earth's
- Leave the two Black N's terminated in the terminal block

Here is a pic of the 3g switch (bit hard to see all the wires form the angle)

PHOT0021a.jpg

So here is a diagram of how it wired:

Existingwiringdiagram.jpg

And here is a diagram of how I'm thinking of wiring it:

Proposedwiringdiagram.jpg

Thanks in advance for any help!!

Sponsored Links
After a cursory glance, the diagram you provide for the existing wiring makes sense, as does the one for the proposed new wiring with additional switch.

Nice 1 folks,

thanks for the quick replies.

Great drawings as well, what software did you use.

Thanks!
Just used the Microsoft Paint that comes as standard on Vista.
I do usually you Adobe (Photoshop C2 etc) but have just got a new PC and haven't installed all programs yet.

Thanks again,
I will get on with the job in the morning.

Sponsored Links
And on every version of MS Windows since the year dot...

LOL! Yes, well since Windows 1.0 first come out in '85! (It was on my very first IBM!!)

(when did it cease being called paintbrush? 95?)

And yes, exaclty, '95! In fact it was only called Paintbrush from Windows 3.0 (1990) thru to Windows 95, when it changed to just Paint and was the same prog thru to XP and I notice it has some slight changes in Vista (zoom and crop) but I've not used it for years! Remember kids, only use Paint if you really have too! ;)
Think were inthe wrong forum here, how did we get onto tech-nerd stuff!!??

Meanwhile, back at the ranch, got the leccy job done and all is tickety boo!

Thanks for your inputs.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back