Adding a Fire sounder

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
At college, I've been set a few different questions, which i need to explain how I would install different things. One question I'm unsure of:

Add a sounder to an existing system

can you simply extend the existing system by going into a sounder and spuring off the sounder.

Or do you go into an existing sounder when theres two wires going in, take one pos/neutral out and extend to the new sounder, with cable coming back into original siren.

(if either of these solutions are wrong, how would they affect the system)

would the end of line resistor in the last sounder become affected in any way, if i did either of these???

Any help would be appreciated

Sponsored Links
In your first option the spur will not be monitored, but the eol will not be affected.
In the second option you are continuing the circuit to include the new sounder and if done correctly it will all be monitored, the new wiring can be 4 core cable with extra connections made in the original sounder casing.

Sponsored Links
i see this topic is a few days old. The fire address could be an addressable loop system where you are allowed spurs normally up to 100m as it is all monitored. :D

In the original post it referred to eol which can only be a conventional system, or an addressable system with conventional sounders.
Never heard that one before as on an addressible system all the devices should be on the loop so that if the circuit is broken they will be fed from either direction, it's not good practice to spur off the loop.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back