Adding a IR switch to a intermediate 3 way switch!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I currently have a 3 way intermediate switch installed and actually want to change one of them to a single gang 1 way IR switch. The end result I want is that 2 of the 3 way switches still work as they do now, and my new IR switch can switch on and off the same light as well. Is this possible? I hve not been able to find a 3 way IR intermediate switch. Thanks

Oliver

Sponsored Links
what you are suggesting is like swapping a bannana for an apple and hoping no one notices, they are both fruit but thats where the similarity ends.

why not see if you can get a master / slave set of IR dimmer switches

Hi Breezer,

Thanks for your reply. I have not had much experience with 2 way or intermediate switches. I never really put much though into it untill I spotted a IR switch and bought it off the shelf and went home thinking I could change it easily! Then I found out that I was using a intermediate switch (Stupid me not to have rememebered)

So I guess I have will to rewire using a IR master and slave unit. Guess I will do that. Any brands to recommend?

Thanks
Oliver

take it back to where you got it and ask do they have a master / slave option? (the one you have may even be a master)

over here in the U.K, i would suggest this as it is easy to get hold of.

as a matter of interest it should also work where you are (in singapore, thats where your profile says you are) as you too are 230v 50 hz

Sponsored Links
Hi breezer,

Yupe, 220v is what we use in Singapore. I was looking at the same units you pointed me to. My switch does not have a master slave option.

What I don't understand is the 2 way 2 gang models did state a intermediate option. So does that mean I can leave my other two switches alone or I can get intermediate options only through using multiple slave units. Another problem is that I am using energy saving fluorescent units (The 15 watts = 60watts type) which the installation guide of these swtiches says is not compatabile. Sigh... so I guess I have to continue looking.

Thanks again.
Oliver

you can not use any type of dimmer with an energy saving lamp. it also defeats the object of a dimmer

Thanks Breezer.

But I can "defeat" the dimmer function and basically use it as a on/off switch I hope?

Oliver

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back