Adding a pull switch

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,
so here's the problem. I have installed 2 spots in the kitchen ceiling. They were added using a spur which originally was for some undershelf lighting on a cabinet.
I want to operate the spots independently from the other lights, so I have a pull switch I want to install. The spur runs from a junction which was added when the previous setup was installed. This junction is the other side of the kitchen, but I want to insert the pull switch on the other side near the spots.
I'm not sure how I install the switch. Do I buy a junction box, insert this inline on the spur cable, then run the switch from the junction box? Will this control the spots? Most diagrams assume that the box is installed on a circuit, whereas in this case there is no circuit, just the spur, which ends at the spots.
Any suggestions gratefully appreciated.

Sponsored Links
At the moment you turn them on and off via the spur the live, neutral and earth (LNE) extend (to the spots) from ?

So you know that the cable between the spur and the spots carries LNE, you can interrupt the cable at any point and split the L via the pull switch.

This then gives you on and off at the spur, and if the spur is on- on and off at the pull switch.

Of course the other way would be to dump the inappropriate connection via the spur (and thus a ring main feed) and find the LNE circuit that the other ceiling lighting used.

It's not 'bad' to run light of a spur, but since the lights are in the ceiling and you wish to operate the spots via a pull cord finding the main lights LNE extending that via the pull switch to the spots is a sensible option.

Hi,
thanks for the reply. At the moment, they are on permanently, as the spur seems to be on an unswitched circuit (previously it ended with a switch in a cupboard). I dont mind as it proves they work and the feed is ok. I am using the fuseboard to switch them off at the moment. I think the previous work set up a number of feeds to various points in the kitchen, which were then switched at the units. The junction that this work was patched into is some way from where I have installed the lights, hence the wish to site the new switch nearer the lights.
My preference is to keep it simple, and not end up doing more work than necessary.

I guess i could patch them in to the existing light circuit, but my wife ;) wants to control them separately.

I wasn't sure whether I could just install the switch inline 'on' the spur, or whether I have to install a junction inline on the spur, then run a line from the junction to the switch.

Thanks

It's absolutely stupid to have the only means of isolation (on - off to you) at the fuse board.

With respect you don't seem to understand the circuits so I'd be worried about you doing the work !

If you think you have the skill set and understand the legal requirements of Part P then:-

Dump the spur feed for the lights

Find the LNE at the light circuit, extend that to the pull switch and feed on to the spots from the pull switch location.

Yes, the new spots will be on the same circuit as the existing lights, but it WILL NOT switch with the main lights.

You seem to think putting the new spots on the existing lights will mean they are all controlled via the same light switch- that will only happen if you connect the spots to the switched live, N and E !

As already mentioned just find the 'pure' LNE for those lights and feed from there.

IF you really must use the spur circuit, please fit a switched fuse spur with a 3 amp fuse to allow isolation.

Better still get a spark round to offer the best solution after a survey and eyeball of the work content.

Sponsored Links
Find the LNE at the light circuit, extend that to the pull switch and feed on to the spots from the pull switch location.

So does this need a junction box? How do you 'feed on to the spots from the pull switch location'?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back