Adding a radiator to system.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,
We have a combi system which works fine and was relocated a number of years ago. When it was moved, new pipe was added to connect up the old pipework. Additionally, one extra type 22, 100cm radiator was plumbed in which isnt really big enough for the large through room in question and has also developed rust spots so will be replaced.

The wall which the radiator is on, has enough space for this to be changed to a 1.4m radiator and I can easily change the pipes to accommodate this.

But..... Wifey has now suggested alongside doing this, adding a further radiator on another wall which is fine, as long as it means she is correct as always.

So, my dilemma is how to go about this. Our system has 22mm pipes going upstairs with lots of 10mm pipes branching off to the radiators. The 22mm pipes also have a branch coming back downstairs and 10mm pipes branching off to the downstairs radiators under the floorboards.

Part of our house, has a large through room with concrete floors which has never had a radiator so when the boiler was moved a 15mm branch was added to the 22mm pipes and a radiator was added via 10mm microbore.

This is where the problem arises. I can access the 15mm pipes easily but not the 22mm pipes so any work has to be on the 15mm feed and returns.

I am thinking, cut out the 10mm feed and return to the rusting radiator. At the cuts, add a 15mm equal tee to both pipes. Run a new 15mm feed and return from one branch of each equal tee to the rusting radiator which will be replaced. At the other side of each equal tee, run new pipe to the other new radiator on a different wall.

Will this work or am i overthinking it and getting it completely wrong? I have added a diagram but not sure if it will help.

Thanks everyone in advance

Attachments

• 16986769396403127358946180999875.jpg
    16986769396403127358946180999875.jpg
    298.6 KB · Views: 52
Sponsored Links
Thanks. The 1st radiator which is rusting is about 1.5m from the boiler. The 2nd is about 3m away. It is the same wall but there is a brick column in they way stopping me from just having one huge radiator.

Sponsored Links
Should be no problem. I have broken the theoretical rules lots on times, including long 10mm runs off other 10mm pipes with no issues.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back