adding a radiator

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
i want to add a rad to an indirect system with 2 motor valves.easiest access is near valves/cylinder.can take feed from just after CH motor valve, but access to return pipe difficult.thought i could bring return to HW circuit (on boiler side of motor valve,of course)..easier to access here.would this be OK?

Sponsored Links
No, all the radiator returns must come together before joining with the hot water return. This is to avoid reverse circulation, which would cause some radiators to become warm when only hot water is selected.

You'll have to find some way of piping into the radiator return before it joins with the hot water return.

Mogget: thanks for info and rapid reply;i can see what you mean..select HW only and there'd be reverse flow into my new rad that would also return to the feed to others after the valve.........oops, need to find a trained monkey with 3 slim arms to reach behind cylinder to access CH return.

It seems as if the bit you need to fix is always the bit you can't get at! :LOL:

Depending on the layout of your system it may be easier to run a new hot water return to nearer the boiler, and use the old hot water return as a radiator return.

Sponsored Links
agree with mogget, the cylinder return must be the last tee on the return to the boiler.

Thanks guys (or gals?), system is not where i live, so i'll go back and study again with your advice on board.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back