Honeywell 3 port zone valve always open, Diagnosis?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Gravity fed tank heating and hot water system has a 3 port Honeywell zone valve switching between HW and CH.

It appears that the valve is locked open. as whenever the HW is on, the radiators heat up.

The manual lever on the valve is constantly loose (no matter what state the system is set to) so I thought it might be a jammed motor. On taking the top off the valve head though, it seems the lever doesn't engage the gears or return valve at all, regardless of whether the motor is attached or removed.

Could this still be a motor problem, am I looking at the whole valve head being shot, or is it the actual valve paddles being jammed?

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Sounds like the valve is jammed in mid-position.
If you have the actuator off it should reveal a spindle that moves the paddle you can try gently turning it slightly left to right to free it.

On a Honeywell, only 30/40 degrees.
Take the motor off the head( onescrew and slide from under the clip). You will soon know if it is jammed.

Sponsored Links
Nope, completely jammed as it turns out. Guess I'm looking at draining down and replacing the actual valve body?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back