adding a radiator

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
I have a Worcester combi 24CDI boiler with a shower and 9 radiators connected to it. What i would like to know is, how many radiators can this type of boiler take, as I would like to add an extra small 18in wide radiator in the kitchen to this system. Thanks.

Sponsored Links
you need to add the btu output of all the rads you require together to make sure they are within the btu output of the boiler. Unless you have 9 massive rooms with very big rads you'll be fine

ollski said:
you need to add the btu output of all the rads you require together to make sure they are within the btu output of the boiler. Unless you have 9 massive rooms with very big rads you'll be fine

Hi,
How do i find the btu of the radiators that were installed when the system was fitted??

To get a pretty good guide get a plumbcenter catalogue, measure your rads and cross reference the btu's with the matching rads

Sponsored Links
If you have the usual 22mm pipes from your boiler you can forget anything above about 38,000 btu, as you can't shift the heat fast enough. For 28mm then you can get around 63,000.

oilman said:
If you have the usual 22mm pipes from your boiler you can forget anything above about 38,000 btu, as you can't shift the heat fast enough. For 28mm then you can get around 63,000.
Hi,
It is 28mm from the boiler to under the floor upstairs. It then comes down into the back living room and to a rad in 24mm then goes to the second rad in 22mm. I want to fit a small rad in the kitchen which is on the other side of the wall to the rad that is fed with 24mm.

You are lucky, with the 28mm you can make use of just about all of your boiler's output. (Input 24kW output about 90% ie 21.6kW, or near 63,000 btu)

oilman said:
You are lucky, with the 28mm you can make use of just about all of your boiler's output. (Input 24kW output about 90% ie 21.6kW, or near 63,000 btu)
Thanks to Oilman and Ollski for your help. Much apreciated.

cyberdog said:
oilman said:
Thanks to Oilman and Ollski for your help. Much apreciated.
Hi,
I have calculated the Btu for each radiator and added them together. This gives me a total Btu of 28,252 Btu/h. From what i can tell the output of my Worcester 24CDI combi boiler is 81,900 Btu/h, which seems to be giving me a hell of a lot of extra capacity. :?:

Heating is easy....it needs the eaxtar power for the hot water.

You might have 82,000 btu in, but some goes out of the flue, and the usable is likely to be nearer 70,000 or less. It will only be this high if the boiler and its heat exchanger is kept clean.

We are also in the process of adding extra rad's of high btu output.

I have spoken to my Local Plumber merchant on this but also appreciate your thought on this as well.

Boiler is 24kw - and the total btu output of rad's is 50,000 my local Plumber merchant said 24kw boiler should be fine.

Re-piping is also in place, upgrading from 15mm to 22mm circulation pipe and 28mm from the boiler itself.

Any suggestion will be appreciated.

miah, I suggest you look at the last but one post on this page, then gradually work through all of your other posts on the subject.

The questions here have all been answered before. If you read the threads on your previous posts it will save what will probably be the same people answering the same questions.

I think this forum is for everyone to join and answer query not just YOU.

My question wasn’t put to you anyway, and please give other people a chance.

Heeeey come on,

Oilman is only trying to be helpful and have given many FREE advice as well as the others plumbers guru on this forum and have you noticed it's mostly trademan's answering the question in all difference subject.Without them we are useless and this diynot forum couldn't possibly carry on............

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back