Adding a spur for an outside socket.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have two double sockets next to each other, (32A ring circuit), and want to add two outdoor sockets. One for a rigid body spa and one for basic garden equipment such as strimmer's and hedge cutters, (mower is petrol).
With them being so close to each other, I am assuming the cables come down from the loft, (it's a bungalow), to the first one, them simply go to the side to its neighbour and back up to the loft.
Is it safe/compliant to take a spur off each one or should a FCU be brought into the two circuits for safety?
Although I'm capable of doing the work I will be using an electrician due to my poor health. Just want it in my head the best/safest/compliant way for him to do it so I can question if he deviates.

Sponsored Links
Ring final.jpg
One spur only can be taken as shown, however the rigid body spa is the problem. Most garden equipment is class II so no earth, but is it is earthed outside the Equipotential bonding zone then can't really use a TN-C-S supply.

So it is more about earthing arrangements to anything else. https://electrical.theiet.org/media...tdoors-a-supply-to-a-detached-outbuilding.pdf and this https://electrical.theiet.org/wiring-matters/years/2021/84-march-2021/broken-pen/ may help understand the problem.

I am assuming the cables come down from the loft, (it's a bungalow), to the first one, them simply go to the side to its neighbour and back up to the loft.
If that is correct, then just make the two new sockets part of the ring.
Remove the cable between the two existing sockets
then add cable from one of them to the first new socket, then to the second new socket, and then to the other existing socket.

Sponsored Links
Can I just add a comment ? - Personally I favour some kind of isolator for outside sockets , example 20A DP switch (Yes I know 20A? but if it`s a propriety make rather than cheap tatt then I do not envisage problems) inside the dwelling . That way if damage/leaking occurs to the outside sockets they can readily be omitted ready for replacement/repair purposes and avoid problem RCD trips. That would bring us back to utilising spurs.

Classic case for extending the ring, check the existing cabling if you're up to it and the means of disconnection is safe and up to date as its a spa.

Is this body spa a sort of hot tub?
Yes, the sort you get at holiday parks like Centre Parcs.
Inflatable ones are no good for my wifes crumbling spine.

Classic case for extending the ring, check the existing cabling if you're up to it and the means of disconnection is safe and up to date as its a spa.
Bungalow was completely rebuilt 5 years ago and it will be the same spark who does this job, (he's just done the electrics in the loft conversion).
The spa is a plug-in with a fitted RCD plug ad, (from memory because I haven't looked in the cupboard for a while), the board is dual RCD with surge(?) protection.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back