Adding a spur from my shaver socket.....

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I am re-doing my bathroom, and orginally it has a shaver socket in the wall. I now want to put a a illuminated mirror, but need to supply power to it. Can i take it from the back of my shaver socket as this already has power to it!!!

Does anyone know if there is law for this, i.e is it legal.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
1) It is legal for you to do electrical work in the bathroom (or kitchen), provided that you first notify the Building Control Office at your local council, complete the forms and pay the fee. Or you can use a professional electrician who is a member of a self-certification scheme who will test and issue his own certificate.

2) It may or may not be possible to spur off a shaver socket. These are very often connected to the lighting (not the socket) circuit. This affects how you do it. Turn the circuits off, one at a time, and see which stops the shaver socket working.
When it is safe, have a look behind the shaver socket and see how many cables (each containing three wires) there are.

Well i am going to get an qualified electrian to come and plug it all in..etc, i just wanted to find out so i could run conduit in the wall before i tile.

I had a look behind the shaver socket, there is only one cable, 3 wires.. live, neutral and earth.

Sponsored Links
JohnD said:
...These are very often connected to the lighting (not the socket) circuit. This affects how you do it. Turn the circuits off, one at a time, and see which stops the shaver socket working...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back