'concealed' shaver socket

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm doing a bathroom refurb and dont want a shaver socket messing up the look, but do want to be able to plug in a shaver. :oops:

Am putting in an illuminated mirror above the basin and wondered if there is any way to get an 'edge on' socket behind the mirror, a bit like a no transformer shaver light, but without the light.

Of course I could have bought an illuminated mirror with a socket fitted, but at first I couldn't find one, then when I did it was £400ish :eek:

Sponsored Links
I don't quite understand what you mean. What's wrong with a simple minimal no switch brushed stainless or chrome shaver socket in the wall?

Have you thought about heater pads behind the mirror? It makes a huge difference in a steamy bathroom; no more desperately wiping the mirror.

What's wrong with a simple minimal no switch brushed stainless or chrome shaver socket in the wall?
Just my preference not to have one, so I'm looking for an alternative.
Have you thought about heater pads behind the mirror? It makes a huge difference in a steamy bathroom; no more desperately wiping the mirror.
I want heater pads, and may still get them if I can find pads to fit around the connection block for the lights. The lights get priority though as my wife is unacustomed to putting her makeup on in the dim infrared glow of a heater pad :rolleyes:

Back on the socket issue I did think about modifying a std shaver socket, and connecting a modified shaver light (ie remove the light and associated wiring) to the transformer secondary. It would work, but I'd be up s**t creek if I ever had to justify it as 'safe'.

I am having the same trouble as you, did you find a cocealed small shaver socket you could use? or did you make one up? I have got a mirror to convert as well, I know you can buy mirrors with a shaver socket but not at the size I need, let me know what you managed to acheive please

Sponsored Links
[satire]
I didn't want a sink and bath spoiling the 'look' of my bathroom, so I hid it in cupboard, I don't want a handle spoiling the look of the door though, can you help.
[/satire]

Regards,

Rampant C. Functionalist

:oops: :oops:

Only saw them last week, just as well I haven't promoted them to any clients !

I suspect the reason they can make it small is that it doesn't use an isolating transformer - hence the restriction:

"This shaver socket must not be used in
bathrooms and washrooms. Non-isolated, fused,
shaver socket outlets must never be installed in
any location subject to splashes, condensation or
damp conditions."

I am having the same trouble as you, did you find a cocealed small shaver socket you could use? or did you make one up? I have got a mirror to convert as well, I know you can buy mirrors with a shaver socket but not at the size I need, let me know what you managed to acheive please
Well - I suppose that after over 18 months he will have arranged some kind of solution or compromise, and who knows - he might still have the same email address, might get a notification, and might reply to you. I'd advise you not to hold your breath until he does, though...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back