Adding external light

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I'm looking to add an external PIR light on the front of my house. I do not want a switch as it will be operated automatically by the PIR. I have an RCD consumer unit by the electric meter. There are lighting and socket circuits easily accessible on the inside of the wall where I would like to install the light.

1. Should I run the power from the lighting circuit or from the sockets.
2. Do I need anything special because it's outside (extra RCDs or fuses)?

I've been reading up and saw some information saying that outdoor lighting was protected by regulations and DIYers may not be permitted to do this. Am I allowed to do this myself? I'm confident that I can do the work, but I want to make sure I don't violate any regulations.

Thanks,

Dan

Sponsored Links
I do not want a switch as it will be operated automatically by the PIR.
You should have a switch for isolation and operation of most PIRs - either to switch off or manipulate for permanent on.

Depends.

It us unlikely that you will have a neutral at the switch position so it will either have to be run from an existing light or socket.
A neutral is the return wire from the load (light) back to the supply which completes the circuit - not just any black or blue wire.

2. Do I need anything special because it's outside (extra RCDs or fuses)?
Only a fuse if run from a socket.

I've been reading up and saw some information saying that outdoor lighting was protected by regulations and DIYers may not be permitted to do this.
No longer.

Am I allowed to do this myself? I'm confident that I can do the work, but I want to make sure I don't violate any regulations.
You are but more important than any regulations are correct installation and testing.

I do not want a switch as it will be operated automatically by the PIR.
You should have a switch for isolation and operation of most PIRs - either to switch off or manipulate for permanent on.

OK, thanks. I'll probably add one then, but in a slightly different location to avoid turning off accidentally.

Depends.

It us unlikely that you will have a neutral at the switch position so it will either have to be run from an existing light or socket.
A neutral is the return wire from the load (light) back to the supply which completes the circuit - not just any black or blue wire.

Ahh, that's OK, the ring from the light comes across the ceiling and then down next to the light, so I could add a junction box for my spur here? Is there ever a good reason to have a neutral at the switch?

Thanks for the info.

Dan

Sponsored Links
Ahh, that's OK, the ring from the light comes across the ceiling and then down next to the light, so I could add a junction box for my spur here? e]
Not a ring but -

Can you not connect to the light position?

You mean the ceiling light? Sure - but I thought it would be neater to have a junction box where the wire from the light meets the wall.

Right, I've got my light and supplies. I've opened up the switch and it looks like there's a neutral there.

So, there's one wire with red, black and earth. The red goes to common and the black to L2. There are another 2 red wires - I can't see where they come from, so I'll investigate further. One goes to common and one to the other L2.

So, for the new light switch, I put the brown wire on common, and the black in the new (third) L2?

Thanks,

Dan

Right, I've got my light and supplies. I've opened up the switch and it looks like there's a neutral there.
Unfortunately looks like there isn't, don't be fooled into thinking the black cores terminated to the switch are neutral, as they are very likely to be live, either switched or permanently depending how they were installed.
The neutral will very likely be looped-in at the ceiling roses/ceiling/wall light fittings.

Sorry, I should have been clearer, there is a (several) neutral hidden in the paneling behind the switch. Also, there is a permanent live coiled up and terminated with insulating tape! (I didn't touch that! Guess it might be useful to add a new switch location with a neutral?)

Anyway, I added a new wire, connected it to the other neutrals, put the live on my new switch's L1 and joined the commons together. Then I drilled through the wall put the cable through and wired up the new light. All working great!

Thanks for the help,

Dan

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back