adding extra light

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
ok perhaps over sensative.. i am more used to technicla forums and Computer related issues where i usually stand my own ground...

ok in short..

i have a 2 gang light switch.

on the first switch is working

it has an earth cable and two others... (both red)

i want to add a second light on the second switch

how can i power the second fitting from the first (from the switch box)

as per your first post

"if a moderator reads this can you please delete this thread..

thanks

Dan"

Sponsored Links
This isn't a proper electricians answer, but this is what I would do (though it may not be the 'right' thing to do)

Identify the Neutral at the ceiling rose of light number one and run it to light number 2.

Identify the permanent live in the switch, put a link in between this and the C of the second switch. Take the switched Live from the second switch up to the light.

justdan said:
i have a 2 gang light switch.

on the first switch is working

it has an earth cable and two others... (both red)
One of those is the permanent live, the other is the switched live. You should look at the diagrams in the For Reference section to see how lighting circuits are wired..

i want to add a second light on the second switch

how can i power the second fitting from the first (from the switch box)
You can't, not directly, as there is no way that the switch can provide a neutral for the new light.

1) You could do what johnny_t suggested.

2) You could take permanent live & neutral from the ceiling rose of light #1 to the rose, or a 4-way junction box for #2, and from there run a conventional twin & earth switch cable to the 2nd gang of the switch.

3) You could replace the existing switch cable with 3-core & earth, and use the extra core to bring neutral to the switch, link the two COM terminals as per method (1), and run T&E to the new light carrying switched live and the neutral joined at the switch to the neutral from the 3C+E with a piece of choc-block.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back