Adding more ways to 16 way mk consumer unit

Sponsored Links
In this photo you can see the bar runs beyond the edge of the main switch
As you've been told, that's a DIN mounting rail, not a bus bar - the bus bar doesn't go beyond the main switch.

As you've also been told (by implication), you appear to have a 16-module CU. Six module-widths are being taken up by Main Switch + RCDs, hence leaving 10 spaces for MCBs, hence the '10-way' description you mentioned (in a 16-(module)-way box).

As has been asked, do we take it that this Cu has not yet been installed?

Kind Regards, John

I can live without the extra breakers, but I would have liked to separate out the smoke alarms and extension ring main

Sponsored Links
Your board is full. You can not bodge any extra circuits into it.

I'm not entirely convinced it is, but I'll take your word for it
It's full. You could probably get two extra circuits by getting rid of the left hand RCD and replacing all the MCBs currently fed from it with RCBOs, plus RCBOs for the two new circuits. However, that would require a new, longer, bus bar (assuming you could get one) and a little bodging, and would probably be pretty expensive (RCBOs are still not cheap).

... or, of course, a separate additional 'mini CU' for the two additional circuits you would like.

Kind Regards, John

I take it this board replaces the 10 outgoing way Hager that you had back in November?
//www.diynot.com/forums/electrics/shocking-installation.382693/

If so then a couple of points, some of the incorrect circuit arrangements on that board appear to have been copied onto this board with both sets of lights seeming to be on the same RCD (B6 are all on same side?), that's a no under BS7671. Previous biggest breaker was 32A now the cooker is on a 40A, have calcs been done can the cable handle this load. Some of the MCBs were not labelled on the Hager NONE are on this one. On the Hager there appeared to be a spare way but now you are saying there is not, so extra circuits have been installed or circuits altered.

Who has done this work? Are you a qualified electrician?

If you are not and it is DIY then building control will never pass this and it will all have to be ripped out and done again by an electrician who is able to certify it, or re done by you to BS7671 and inspected & tested by an approved inspector.

Might be cheaper to call in a spark now.

Took out Hager and fitted MK ???

1312644019061.jpg

As others have said the board is full, your picture is showing room on the din rail not on the non-existent busbar!
The only way around your issue on this board would be to strip it out and reconfigure it by use of RCBOs.
If you need the extra way then a bigger board or a second remote unit will be required.

It best to have smoke alarm on a circuit shared with something else.
You notice when the power has been lost to that circuit

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back