Adding quoins to existing building?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am at the early stages of considering renovation of a rubble stone semi detached two-up two-down. The corners of the building are in a poor state of repair. I note that next door has quoins whereas the one I’m looking at does not. Googling has so far failed to answer my question conclusively: can quoins be added retrospectively, and is this a massive job or relatively straightforward? If not, what would the remedial action be? Can anyone help? Thanks in advance!

Sponsored Links
I am at the early stages of considering renovation of a rubble stone semi detached two-up two-down. The corners of the building are in a poor state of repair. I note that next door has quoins whereas the one I’m looking at does not. Googling has so far failed to answer my question conclusively: can quoins be added retrospectively, and is this a massive job or relatively straightforward? If not, what would the remedial action be? Can anyone help? Thanks in advance!
If the building is reliant upon the corner you are repairing, then it is potentially a tricky, but doable job. With a fully tied in brick/block cavity wall, its a wee bit simpler but still a faff.
It may be possible to dismantle the lowest say 700mm, re-build half of that (in height) with qoins, then continue up dismantling small sections and re-building as you go. All masonry fully tied in.

Quoins are for aesthetics, or a way to form plumb corners to line the wall in between them.

True rubble stone is not the same as bonded brickwork and much more difficult to work on

Sponsored Links
Corner.png

Thanks, it probably would have been helpful of me to post pictures! This shows the issue and for comparison the quoins on the other side of the building. Do you think the quoins would have been added retrospectively, if only just for the aesthetic?

Attachments

• Quoins next door .png
    Quoins next door .png
    2.4 MB · Views: 43

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back