Adding smoke detectors

PG

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I'm about to put my house up for rent and have been informed by those pesky people at the council that I need to add more smoke alarms.

It's a 3 storey house with a mains wired battery backed-up smoke alarm on each floor (hall + 2 landings).
I have been told I must add an alarm to the living room and a heat detector to the kitchen-diner.
These both have to be mains wired and linked to the existing alarms.

Does anyone know if this is something a DIYer can do or should I call in an expert?
I guess it's similar to expanding a lighting circuit although I could be completely wrong?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Sponsored Links
sorry to inform you..........

as per BS5839 (part 6) and your local councils reccomendations you should not attempt to do this work, unless you are registered as a Part P compliant person and have the ability to `sign off` the work.

find a local electrical contractor to carry out the work and ensure that you geta certificate of completion and a certificate of commisioning for the detection

John

Thanks John.

I think I will take heed to your advice and get a professional to do the work. :oops:

I thought that would always be the case when it comes to fire safety.
Makes sense I suppose.

I'll just stick to putting up shelves, etc :)

Cheers

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back