Adding socket to Consumer Unit - notifiable?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I might have the whim to install a consumer unit, but instead, install some other items that were not consumer units and were therefore not notifiable, but which, together, fulfilled my needs and desires to the same extent.

Like a distribution unit with an external main switch ?

Sponsored Links
that right

Long ago somebody was musing about wiring a house with no CU.

But as EFL has just pointed out, if you were removing a consumer unit to install that separate distribution board and main switch, it would be notifiable anyway because you'd be replacing a consumer unit (the regulations don't say anything about what replaces it). But if you were installing them after removing, say, a 1930's wooden cased fuse board with separate switch, you'd be fine!

P.S. If I recall correctly, the earlier regulations said something about the provision of a consumer unit rather than replacement.

PBC: I suggest you ask BAS whether he has ever performed any notifiable electrical work in his own home/garden without notifying.
A good question. I suspect a straight answer will not be forthcoming.
The answer is I don't think I have.

But were I to, and were I not to notify, I would not try to dress it up as some kind of moral issue.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
But were I to, and were I not to notify, I would not try to dress it up as some kind of moral issue.
You were the one who brought up the subject of morals, just before you started throwing around accusations about lying.

And isn't your answer a little non-committal? Given the apparent zeal with which you seem to harangue people about notification, surely you would have made absolutely certain that you notified when required? Or are you actually acknowledging that even if we leave aside the obvious silliness of certain jobs being notifiable vs. non-notifiable, there is still a big grey area in which it's really not quite clear whether a job is notifiable or not due to the extremely bad wording of the regulations, both now and before the recent change, so you're not really sure?

Is that enough to be going on with?
Oh yes - it's plenty.

Plenty enough to tell that as well as your moral compass, your dictionary is also seriously broken.

Asking someone what they said would be the way they would comply with P1 is haranguing them? Get a grip.

This will be deleted soon pal, he's had one of my posts brought down, the guys a tool.
If one of your posts has been removed it'll be because someone else found it unacceptable and reported it - I can assure you I have done no such thing.

If you care to take notice you'll see that some of mine were removed from that topic as well.

Last edited:
I see.

So you decided that the words "what did you say would be the way you would comply with P1?" are clearly intended to be antagonising and accusatory, something which has to be a total invention on your part because there are no antagonising or accusatory words in the question, and then because you don't like what you have invented you decide to criticise me for it.

Way to go.

Or does nobody else see it that way?
Only the hard-of-seeing, the hard-of-thinking, and the ones so consumed with a pathetic, childish desire to have a go at me that they are quite prepared to invent things and criticise me for their invention. Two of them thanked you for your effort - they obviously see in you a kindred spirit.

Two of them thanked you for your effort - they obviously see in you a kindred spirit.
We (at least I) thanked him for yet again pointing out that, only too often, the problem is not what you write, but the way you write it.

However, it is very apparent that your style is never going to change - which, IMO, is a pity, not the least because it is often undoubtedly counter-productive in terms of what you are, sincerely, trying to achieve.

Kind Regards, John

We (at least I) thanked him for yet again pointing out that, only too often, the problem is not what you write, but the way you write it.
No - what happened was you thanked another person who invented a "way" which he decided he didn't like and then, in an act of utter illogicality decided to blame me for that "way".

"When you went to the beach, did you paddle in the sea?"

"When you washed your car, did you finish it with a chamois leather?"

"What did you say would be the way you would comply with P1?"

"When you make strawberry jam do you use jam sugar or bottled pectin?"​

What "way" is there about those questions which is a problem? Feel free to answer only in terms of the words as they appear, rather than deciding that you ought to pretend that there are other words there.

However, it is very apparent that your style is never going to change
My "style" is one where people should read the words written rather than imagining the existence of other words.

My "style" is not to pay any heed to criticisms from people who don't like what they have created, and who have a track record of being such pathetic and inadequate little fools that they actually think it is OK to criticise things they haven't read at all.

which, IMO, is a pity, not the least because it is often undoubtedly counter-productive in terms of what you are, sincerely, trying to achieve.
No, what is counter productive are petty, vicious lies put about by people like you.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back