Adding sockets

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, any advice appreciated, thankyou.

In conservatory extension, electricians sent by company have formed two double sockets and a fused switch for a fan light from one socket in the house...is this safe? As you can see, I'm an amateur and wouldn't touch electrics but want to make sure it's safe. My dad wants to know how it should be done safely so he can get someone out to check.

Sponsored Links
How exactly has it been wired?

If the existing circuit is a radial, then what they have done is OK, provided they used the right cable.

If the existing circuit is a ring, then what they have done is OK provided they extended the ring and used the right cable.

If the existing circuit is a ring, and they spurred off to 2 sockets and then an FCU then that is not OK. It contravenes the Wiring Regulations, so any EIC is fraudulent, and it is not reasonably safe so it contravenes the Building Regulations and was therefore illegal.

For radials or rings, only one non-fused spur per socket or junction box connected on the main circuit cable(s).

If they've spurred the conservatory off the existing ring but protected it all with a 13A fused spur first, then it's fine as this 13A fuse prevents the cables being overloaded.

If the original circuit is a radial, same thing goes as it should be protected at the CU by a 20A device anyway, as long as it doesn't exceed maximum cable length.

If they've just spurred off the ring with no protection for the additional points, then there is a risk of the cables being overloaded as the main protective device would be 32A at the CU.

Sponsored Links
For radials or rings, only one non-fused spur per socket or junction box connected on the main circuit cable(s).
That is not entirely correct, and if the OP follows that advice he may incur unnecessary costs or become embroiled in unnecessary conflict with his electrician.

We need to await his findings on how it has been wired, and if it is a non fused spur from a ring final then it is indeed wrong.

If, however, it is a branch from a radial circuit then it does not need to be fused and it is perfectly OK.

And I'm not trying to continue any disagreement here in contravention of the mods decision, I'm trying to stop you misleading the OP.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back