Adding Wall lights

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I want to add wall lights in my front room to a radial lighting system. The lighting system has junction boxes under the floor boards and it would be real easy to add another junction box and wire to the lights and the switch from there. I 've been told that junction boes NOW have to be in an accessable place. Is this a recommendation or a regulation coz I was hoping to put the junction box under the floor boards in either the bedroom above the front room or at least in the landing

Sponsored Links
I'd just add another jb- since that's how all your lighting is currently wired.

On a full rewire unless there is easy access and docs indicating the jb locations, no jbs allowed.

Hence why on a normal house, loop in- loop out systems either on a ceiting rose or at the light switch are now the norm.
Lofts have open access, unless boarded and hence it is still common to see jb's spotted about on joists.

The logic is that jb's use screws, screws can work loose and thus contact fail or even potentially short (very unlikely).

Be safe.

JBs have ALWAYS had to be accessible.

But they normally weren't! :LOL:

Under a floor with a carpet is considered accessible, but under the same floor with laminate isn't, since you have to destroy the decor to access it.

Thanks, I've just been told by another electrician to use JB's but put them close to the edge of a wall and under a floorboard that has already been up. He also said mark the position on a floor board.

Sponsored Links
Thanks, I've just been told by another electrician to use JB's but put them close to the edge of a wall and under a floorboard that has already been up. He also said mark the position on a floor board.

And list them in a note by the consumer unit. So in the future they can be found.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back