Additional Consumer Unit

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

I currently already have a split load consumer unit with all the MCBs used up. I need to install a Garage consumer unit so that I can provide external power for 2 plug sockets and for some lighting and also require some power for a pond i wish to have.

How do I connect the additional unit to the consumer unit or dont i?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
There are lots of options here. Could you clarify first :-

Is the garage integrated or separate from the house?

The garage is integrated. The mains supply (meter) is outside of the house. The main consumer unit is within the garage.

Three options come to mind:-

1) Replace with a brand new CU with enough RCD protected ways to support your needs.
2) Add a new 30ma RCD protected CU and split the tails with the existing CU using henry blocks.
3) Try to free up a way in the existing CU to feed a new CU. This will entail moving circuits from the old CU to the new one.

Lot and lots of safety warnings about doing any of the above unless you are competent with electrics. May be safer/best to call an electrician .

Option 1, could be the most cost effective and neatest if the existing CU is a current model. You/your Sparky would only need to buy the enclosure and MCB's/RCBO's for the new ways.

See the other recent posts on moving CU's etc for more info.

Sponsored Links
cheers for your help.
Will definitly get my sparky mate to do job

brown-nought said:
Three options come to mind:-

1) Replace with a brand new CU with enough RCD protected ways to support your needs.
2) Add a new 30ma RCD protected CU and split the tails with the existing CU using henry blocks.
3) Try to free up a way in the existing CU to feed a new CU. This will entail moving circuits from the old CU to the new one.
4) Just extend the nearest ring main from the house through, the wall, out into the garage??

ban-all-sheds said:
4) Just extend the nearest ring main from the house through, the wall, out into the garage??

Smart asses, but good idea none the less.

Protect sockets & pump with a 30ma RCD (could be split load CU RCD).

Lights would need to be fed off an FCU with 5amp fuse. Pump off another FCU.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back