Adjusting French Doors upwards

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I have a set of French doors and the top of one of them only just meets the top of the frame by about 1-2mm so I think it needs moving upwards (I noticed this because of a draught).

I have watched various videos but cannot see my exact hinge. There are two hex bolts accessible underneath the hinge from the outside, I am guessing I need to turn one of these, but I am not sure which one.

There are also two small screws in the side which are accessible when the door is open. I am not sure if I need to remove these or not?

Finally, once I've moved the door upwards I might need to make it close slightly tighter. Is that what the other hex bolt is for, or do I adjust the locking mechanism bolts for this?

Some photos attached. Thanks for your help.

IMG_20240420_095518021.jpg IMG_20240420_095523936.jpg IMG_20240420_095509163_HDR.jpg

Sponsored Links
That's really helpful thanks, so I don't need to remove the inner screws to adjust the height, simply turn the appropriate bolt with an allen key?

If it's just height you need then no you don't need to remove the cover , just adjust the back Allen bolt. However if you look at the door and notice that the leading edge of the door is lower at the top than the hinge edge , then you will need to access behind the covers of the top and bottom hinge ( centre hinge acts as a pivot ). Its unusual to have to completely lift a door sash, normally it's lateral adjustment.
Word of advice though... mark where the door sash touches the frame with a pencil before you begin, you have a datum point then if it all goes horribly wrong for some reason

Sponsored Links
Thanks @freddiemercurystwin and @ronniecabers I managed to do it. I adjusted the door upwards, not by much but enough to stop the draught (previously I could insert a piece of cardboard into the gap where the rubber seal is, whereas now I can't).

It did look like the leading edge of the door was slightly lower so I removed the hinge cap and made an adjustment there but turned it the wrong way! Anyway, I adjusted it back again and left it at that because I wasn't working with a spirit level and didn't want to make things worse, as I'd essentially fixed the original issue.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back