Adjusting Text and Icon sizes

Reaction score
Country
Cook Islands
I now have my 17" monitor and my GeForce FX5200 graphics card, I can't seem to get things sized right. My eyes are not too sharp so I like text a bit on the big side.

I have set DPI to 135% which means the text on this webpage is about right, but icons are still too small, and text inside outlook express is too small in the Local Folders view, but OK in the "New Message" page. Also emails where the text is a picture, is too small :(

"Text Size" in IE doesn't work on all web pages, where the designer has tiresomely made the pages so it doesn't have any effect.

I have forgotten how to tinker with sizes. On Desktop Properties Settings I have DPI, Large Text, and (somewhere) is Large Icons

My screen Resolution goes from 800 x 600 up to 2048 x 1536 and is currently 1280 x 1024 per the screen maker's instructions

I had managed to tinker my old 15" screen so it was how I liked it.

What should I try, and in what order?

Sponsored Links
Your display settings are to pot.
I have a 21" monitor and my screen resolution is set to 1280 x 960 and my eyesight is ok.
I used to have a 17" monitor and i used to set that to 1024 x 768 so try that as a start point :eek:

thanks, I have tried 1024 x 768

(the Acer disply management program kept changing it back to 1280 x 1024 so I have uninstalled it and am back to 1024 x 768 )

however text still looks a bit small

I am at 96 DPI

I have just set "text" to "large" but the ?taskbar? at the foot of the screen looks strangely big now.

any more suggs?

edited: I have just set it to 106DPI (110% of normal) and text to "normal" which seems better

any more suggs?
Yeah a couple :)

edited: I have just set it to 106DPI (110% of normal) and text to "normal" which seems better
I'll confess to running Windows 2000 as my OS and Firefox as my web browser so I can only advise you on how I would adjust my system so you'll have to interpret it to your set-up ok ;)
1 - Reset your display to 96Dpi.
2 - Click the "Appearance" tab. Change the scheme from Windows Standard to Windows Standard (large).
3 - Check Windows, open Control Panel etc, to see if you like it. If it's still too small then alter it to Windows Standard (extra large). Adjust your icon size if you want and that's Windows sorted.
4 - Open your web browser and click on "View" and adjust the zoom or hold ALT and + to increase the browser size. The only drawback with this is that the images get bigger thus making you have to scroll across to see all the web page if you go to big. However, a handy little feature with Firefox is the ability to only increase the text size so it does away with that drawback.
OR:
Run the "Accessibility Wizard" program found on Start --> Programs --> Accessories --> Accessibility --> Accessibility Wizard and see how you get on.

Sponsored Links
On "Appearance" I have no "Windows Standard Large"

I have
Windows & Buttons
- Windows Classic
- Windows XP

(I am on Classic)

Colour Scheme
- Windows Standard
- (and various other options such as Eggplant and Brick)

Font Size
- Normal
- Large
- Extra Large

(I tried Font Large but didn't like it and am back on Normal now)

Appearance
Advanced
Item
... drop down list ... set icon sizes, spacing and more.

-p-

thanks, I have enlarged the icons and icon text, that is an improvement

Back