ADT Smart Home Door Sensor

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I'm hoping that someone out there might be able to offer some advice?
I've recently moved into a new house and had an ADT Smart Home alarm fitted.
I discussed with the sales chap that we would be replacing the front door shortly and asked about moving the sensor when the time came to which he advised this would be no problem. Hmm..

Phoned ADT today and they have told me that it will be £160 + to have someone remove and replace! Feeling totally ripped off. :mad:

I've previously had Yale alarms and am quite capable of removing the sensor and replacing it myself. Certainly not paying the extortionate price to have a technician come and remove a couple of screws.

So my question is this...albeit that when I remove the sensor, the tamper will trigger, I presume that I can deactivate the alarm and screw it to the new door? Yes it's likely that they will phone me, but figured I could play dumb for the short period that it would take me to replace it.

Any suggestions gratefully received (Apart from not getting an alarm through ADT - Won't do that again!)

Thanks

Sponsored Links
You could try speaking to that sales guy to try and get him to pull some weight to get it moved FOC (I wouldn't hold your breath though). Yup sales people will say almost anything to get the sale, and then happily walk away and leave the back office/customer dealing with any fallout. Alternatively you could just move it yourself and if its not obvious that its been tampered with then I wonder if any such callout or remote reset (assuming you cannot reset yourself?) etc...would be part of the service agreement you have?

You certainly should be able to deactivate the alarm sounder but whether you have been given the ability to reset faults/tampers is another thing.

If its monitored then I'm 99% sure the tamper will be on engineer reset.
You could remove and get ADT to put it back at £80??

Thanks for the replies. It is monitored with telephone response.
Sorta hoping they would phone me when the alarm goes off, play dumb and ask them to deactivate, say I'll be home in 20 minutes which would give me plenty of time to refit and ask them to reset.
If they think it's faulty after that point, they come out for free. Any further thoughts?

Sponsored Links
Tbh I'm not sure if the company can reset a tamper fault remotely through the phone line. One way or another your going to have to pay to get the system reset unfortunately.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back