advice about modem and router please

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I am getting conflicting advice about this, please help. I have just had a new modem fitted instead of the internet coming through the set top box. I also have a wireless router in the same vicinity. should they be left on all the time ( and also the cable set top box?) or should I turn them off as a fire hazard. I have left the router on up till now but this new box with all it's flashing lights worries me when I leave the room at night. They are plugged into a multi extension board-how safe is it? Is it dangerous or is it actually the case that they should be left on? thanks in advance. Judy

Sponsored Links
I can only say what I've been doing for years with no ill-effects. They are switched off at the mains. The router isn't run using the wireless capability (hard wired via the ports on the back to both computers) but the following might still apply.

The set-up is fussy about the order of how items are turned back on. First the modem has to be turned on. When the 'ready' and 'sync' lights are steady, the router is turned on. When that's done the computer(s) can be booted up. A procedure done so many times that it's almost automatic now. :)

Mine have been switched on since 1998

If you like, get one of the OneClick IntelliPanel extention leads, which will switch everything off once one appliance is switched off

Judy15 said:
I also have a wireless router in the same vicinity. should they be left on all the time ( and also the cable set top box?) or should I turn them off as a fire hazard. I have left the router on up till now but this new box with all it's flashing lights worries me when I leave the room at night.
I bet you have other things in your home that you leave switched on. Like dect phones, Lcd or plasma tv, washing machine. There are lots of devices out there that the on/off button does not cut the power completely.

I can only say what I've been doing for years with no ill-effects. They are switched off at the mains. The router isn't run using the wireless capability (hard wired via the ports on the back to both computers) but the following might still apply.

The set-up is fussy about the order of how items are turned back on. First the modem has to be turned on. When the 'ready' and 'sync' lights are steady, the router is turned on. When that's done the computer(s) can be booted up. A procedure done so many times that it's almost automatic now. :)
QFA
You shouldn’t need to wait for the router to finish starting up since by the time you have switch the computer on and it boots up the router would have finished.

Sponsored Links
You shouldn’t need to wait for the router to finish starting up since by the time you have switch the computer on and it boots up the router would have finished.
You're right. It's the router switch on that prefers to wait for the modem to settle. The computer is turned on just after the router but only because the switches are operated one after the other. It would still work if done the other way around but as said, just an automatic procedure these days.

You see, it is so confusing because half say turn off and half say leave on!! I read that the modem has settings that get messed up if turned off (is that true) and that it slows down the speed of the broadband. That it is meant to be left on all the time or else it will play up, and also the set top box has settings and should be left on. I was surprised that anyone did turn them off, still don't know what to do!!

Hi, Do you know are you using cable or ADSL? I am guessing cable.

I read that the modem has settings that get messed up if turned off (is that true)
No its not true. Its possible but I have never had it happen.

and that it slows down the speed of the broadband.
If your using ADSL yes that can happen but just switch it off and on again should sort it.

That it is meant to be left on all the time or else it will play up
Its does not matter if you switch it off.

and also the set top box has settings and should be left on.
All setting are store in a memory chip. If your with Virgin media (cable) I don't think they would use set top boxes that needed an engineer visit everytime it was switched off.

Since the general opinion is that no harm comes from switching off at he mains, then maybe it all boils down to how you feel about leaving any item powered up or on stand-by that isn't being actively used. We all know about the debate regarding that. Some people prefer to turn everything off at the mains while others think it isn't necessary. Perhaps base your decision on whether to turn of or not on how you feel about leaving items running, rather than the fact that the items in question are a modem and router.

Sponsored Links
Back