Advice for replacement backdoor, following burglary.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

We recently had a burglary - the little **** kicked the bottom half of our stable doors in.

I have since secured the backdoor with five massive bits of timber, so it is secure for time being but I need now to replace it.

I rang the insurance company for advice and all they said is to get two written quotes from two separate firms (i.e. professionals as opposed to just a friend) and go with the cheapest one.

They said that I actually need two quotes from each firm - one with the cost for replacing the door like for like and a second for a security upgrade.

I would be grateful for some advice on the following:

1. Who should I approach to get the work done - should I be approaching a joiner, builder or a general handyman?

2. Do I buy all equipment myself and get the firm to fit it all or should I let them purchase it, once they know what I want?

3. What should I be looking for to keep the back of my house safe?

The CID came round to investigate etc. and they did say for maximum security, I should lose the stable door and get a single solid door (window or panels look nice but sacrifice strength).

I have been looking around and there is some suggestion that a solid, external fire door would be a good option (FD 30).

I am also thinking of having four security hinges and four security hinge bolts.

What sort of locks should I be looking for?

The other thing that I shall have to have done is have the door frame replaced (they kicked it in at the hinges) and also have a new cat flap put in.

Any advice would be much appreciated as my other half is not going to sleep easy until I get everything secure.

Many thanks.

Sponsored Links
If insurance is footing the bill get a carpenter in to replace the lot.
Thief can always get in but you need to convince them next door is a better option, so an alarm or even a dummy alarm box is a good addition.

Unfortunately, we worked out that it was not economic to make a claim, so I am going to have to make sure that I get things done cheaply.

As you say, once I have made the backdoor secure, I need to consider some extra mesures like an alarm.

That is exactly what the police said by the way - ultimately, any determined burglar is going to get in but I just need to make it secure enough that they go to another house down the road.

A sure fire way never to be burgled ever again...

I've had shepherds since i was a kid.....never been burgled!

Sponsored Links
Worth fitting a London bar or Birmingham Bar to the frame it's a strong metal frame reinforcer flat bar that fits the full length of the door to prevent the frame splintering at the weak points like hinge or lock keep.

London bars have a crank to fit over a yale type lock Birmingham bars are just straight for the hinge side or where there is no face fitting lock (mortice type) worth getting at least the lock side done.

A sure fire way never to be burgled ever again...

I've had shepherds since i was a kid.....never been burgled!

I hope you walk them a lot. I have a neighbour who has done exactly that except he doesn’t let the dog in the house. Keeps it on a tiny driveway, and hardly ever walks it. It just barks constantly and is a real nuisance. Poor thing...

Lol, they're not mine - just a picture i saved off 'pets4homes', it makes me smile thats why i saved it, we do have 3 though, they all live in the house - eat with us and sleep with us, most of the time they hog the sofa and i sit on the floor, they all somehow get in the back of the X5 and they have long walks and just love to run and play together. None bark uncontrollably, the best early warning alarm known to man, they hear things 100yds away, prick their ears and if needed they'll bark

Soft as grease really......the burglar don't know that though :LOL:

lol - I didn't think the picture was! I didn't make that clear though... lol...

I am not an animal rights type person. I don't even like dogs to be honest. But, I would not recommend anyone get a dog just for guard purposes and nothing else. As I said, my neighbour has done it and although no one goes near his house now, its not nice to see that dog barking constantly and hardly let out. The noise is awful and he has fallen out with everyone on the street due to the noise. Local council will not do anything about it....
[/i]

Absolutley, you have a dog because you want one and can promise it a good home, they take up a lot of time, always hungry, can cost you hundreds if not thousands during their lives, the true owners wouldn't think twice about any of that...i know i don't.

The reason i have shepherds is because my parents grew up with them when they lived in Poland, shortly after the war they came to England and got another after a while they started a family, i was the last of 3 and throughout my childhood and early adulthood we had shepherds, both parents have now passed and i now have my own shepherd, Mrs crank has 2 from a previous relationship, i/we will never have another breed, none were bought to be guard dogs, only to be family members although they do guard because its in their makeup to guard and protect and are fiercely loyal

Her favourite trick is to jump up on to an adjacent sofa and climb onto my lap as i have my feet resting on it and then fall asleep

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back