Rotting backdoor...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I live in suburbs of Atlanta. We built a house in 1998. We have an ongoing problem with our backdoor rotting. Our back door faces the North and when it rains, the water runs down the door and ends up collecting at the base. Nearly every year I have to take a reciprocating saw, cut out the bottom of the T-Mull frame and replace it. Two problems here – one, it looks horrible and the wood rarely matches my door frame and two, I have to replace it EVERY year. I have four inch gutters above the door, however that help is minimal as the rain blows in sideways. Need some help!

Sponsored Links
Do you have a weather threshold on the bottom of the door or how about a open porch without a door protecting the door?

I'd say you need to sort out that drainage problem. Could you not install a french drain and lead the water away to a soakaway?

Maybe you are using the wrong sort of wood. Douglas Fir or Alaska Yellow Cypress will last much, much longer.

Sponsored Links
heeelllooo will r and welcome ;)

is it an inward or outward opening door!!!!!!

water shouldnt collect at the bottom you should have about 7 degree slope to get rid of the water
as said above you should have a weather bar on cill or a weather board on the front off the door at the bottom to shed the water and stop it creeping under the door

what ever happens the door shouldnt be standing in water when the rain stops the water should drain away

another possible cause is water gaining access through another route like running down the glass or pannel entering between the mouldings then running internaly via a gap between the rails and styles then setteling into your new softer wood

Thanks for the response. I apologize for the delay in my response. I have decided to do two things. This time, I am calling in the pros to help me. First, the French drain will go in. Secondly, I found a company state-side that produces a rot resistant WOOD door frame. I don’t think they are international, but I did have a trusted friend recommend them to me, frame saver, you can look them up online. Again, thanks for all the advice. – Will.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back