ADVICE - Microbore copper pipe 'split' at lockshield ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All

My mate has over tightened a 'slight' leak resultig in a crack/split at in the copper pipe at the compression area of the lockshield.

What size is the small microbore pipe ? 8 or 10mm ??

Can i get an compression isolation valve to fit the above ?

Can i purchase a short length of the pipe as i would only need a couple of inches to make right.

Thanks

EDIT - also what do i use to cut the pipe ? I only hace Copex 15/22mm cutters.

Sponsored Links
You can have 10mm and 8mm CH microbore though it's usually 10mm, just measure the diameter.
Junior hacksaw to cut or a micro pipe cutter if you can get it in behind, if it's 10mm then you can get a pipe slice for it.

You can get 1m lengths, just go searching for it.

You can have 10mm and 8mm CH microbore though it's usually 10mm, just measure the diameter.
Junior hacksaw to cut or a micro pipe cutter if you can get it in behind, if it's 10mm then you can get a pipe slice for it.

You can get 1m lengths, just go searching for it.

Thanks Rob,

I've rang my local builders Supplies and they come in big rolls. I think it will have to be cut with hacksaw as it is not a 'round' pipe.

I think it is 10mm, can you get isolation/compression valves for that size.

To embarrassed to ring aroun the BM near me !!

Cheers

You will get a 1m piece off of fleebay, you do end up paying a premium but if it's just a small piece for a repair then it's up to you.
I take it there is no slack in the pipe that will make up the gap if it's only a cple of inches? measure diameter with a tape measure to confirm it's 10mm as it could also be 12mm!

When you say it's not a round pipe? It should be?

You do get 10mm gas tap's but not seen any standard water iso valves at that size.

Why do you need an iso valve anyway?

Sponsored Links
Usually it's made up into a loop before coming through the floor. Can you not just pull a bit more through?

Usually it's made up into a loop before coming through the floor. Can you not just pull a bit more through?

yeah, this would be my advise,
drain the system, or take the pressure off, then take off the valve at the radiator end so you're left with the rad valve still attached to the pipe but not the radiator, and then see if you can pull it up, if it's downstairs you can sometimes get an extra 12" (fnar fnar) if its upstairs you might not get as much.
assuming you can get enough, cut the pipe below the leak and re-attach it to the valve using a new olive, connect back to the radiator, job done!

Or just hacksaw it directly under the valve, solder on a 10/15mm end feed adapter and use a 15mm lock shield valve

By far the easier solution is what Ray has suggested above.

Uses standard 15 mm parts and saves getting short lengths of 10 mm tube.

Some plumbers might even give you a very short length!

Tony

By far the easier solution is what Ray has suggested above.

Uses standard 15 mm parts and saves getting short lengths of 10 mm tube.

Some plumbers might even give you a very short length!

Tony

I'll give you a short length any time you like......... ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back