Replacing sink - best approach with 10mm microbore

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Morning all,

I am replacing a sink in a small downstairs bathroom with a new vanity style basin.

The existing pipework is 10mm microbore plastic pipes with a push fit connected to an isolating valve connected to a 10mm copper pipe which was connected to the old taps (see images: example1 / example2).

The new taps come with 22mm flexible tails (see image), I understand that I need a 22m isolation valve and a reducer to fit that valve directly to the 10mm microbore plastic pipes. We had the same setup in an upstairs bathroom which was totally revamped and it appears this is the same approach that the plumber took for those (see images: example1 / example2)

Does the above approach sound sensible or would you tackle it differently?

I am struggling to find a 22m>10mm reducer. Should I instead purchase a 22mm>15mm reducing coupler and a 15mm>10mm reducing internal coupler?

What is the best way to connect the new isolation valve to the existing plastic microbore pipe? Do I need to use the push fit or can I just remove that and put the pipe directly into the valve as the plumber appears to have done upstairs.

Many thanks in advance
Andy

Sponsored Links
Your existing setup is a 10mm supply pipe into a 15mm isolation valve (ISO) into 15mm copper tap tails.

If the new one is a basin tap then the flexi's will not be 22mm, they will be 15mm. That should make the transition easier for you. L3eave it all the way it is and take the top nut off of the ISO and take the copper pipe out of the top of the valves and add these tail adapters -

1696154348127.png

The flexi's will fit onto these. You will need to recover the top ISO nut and you'll need a couple of new copper olives too.

Hey Rob, thanks for the reply. I thought they were 15mm but when measuring them they were 22mm - I guess that could be because of additional spacing for the threads etc.

I'd not come across these in my research but they should make the job much simpler - many thanks for sharing! My only concern is if the old ISO nut has seized up as it's about 12 years old...I guess I will find out when I get to the job at the weekend.

Thanks again

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back