Advice needed on run down flat

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've just received the keys for a one bedroom flat which I knew was a little run down, however I went inside today and the last tenant has clearly gone mad!

The flat was no deposit and this seems to have encouraged the previous tenant to punch holes in the walls (in about 20 places) and generally be a slob. The carpets are stained and the flat has a stink lingering around the whole place. The landlord has plastered over the holes (very badly, there is large lumps protruding from the wall over the wallpaper) and refused to do any other decorating.

The boiler also has a leak, and has been tied off with a J cloth which has obviously set on fire, as it has melted onto the boiler.

This is the only property currently in my price range and I don't now have time to find another flat (although I'm looking just in case). Is there any way to flatten the lumpy plaster and spruce the place up? I'm inquiring about new carpet throughout but need advice on things like the plaster and old, peeling wallpaper.

Any help or advice is appreciated and I will try to upload some photos for you to get a better idea when I can :)

Sponsored Links
Has L'lord provided a safety certificate for the gas appliances,?[ required by law.]

No, there isn't any gas appliances in the flat so the boiler is run via electricity

Another bad landlord story!

Bella, move in then withhold the rent till he/she has made the flat fit for purpose.

Sponsored Links
While that is very tempting they would charge the guarantor for the rent instead, and I don't much fancy that backlash! :LOL:

We managed to get the estate agents and landlord to surrender the tenancy agreement so we can give back the keys and get our money back (thank god!).

Sounds like the dive I was living in during the uni days (1974)......
bloody place set on fire when I was in the bath :eek:
It was so damp I was surprised it caught :p
John :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back