Advice needed..

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Sponsored Links
You could do this. You would need 3 core round flex and a 3 or 5 amp fuse in the plug.

However, it would be a better job if someone competent could wire it into a switched fused spur unit from the socket circuit, or by another similar hardwired method.

Electrically not really a problem however any light over 150W outside needs registering with local authority. Likely if no one complains they will not bother you but if they do and it does not comply with Part P then that can also be a problem. The Part P bit is a little open you not allowed to have a junction box outside without paying council £100+ and of course the light it's self has a junction box. If it came pre-wired that's OK though.

I would have fitted the 150W version well in fact I have a 70W metal halide which is brighter than your 400W model but allowed.

As I say it is really dependent on neighbours and I hate my neighbours lamp as it switches on and off all night long. If I switch no my 60W porch lamp at my back door even worse as when their lamp goes on it switches off mine. Then as theirs switches off mine goes on and triggers their lamp.

So I would be very careful there are no trees that can wave in wind or cats that walk the fence.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back