Help with heater installation

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

I'm looking for some help/advice with installing a heater in my kitchen.

I've bought the following heater from argos:

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/0522375/Trail/searchtext>HEATER.htm

I didn't realise that it didn't come with a wire and a plug, the instrustions say that it should be wired into the mains via a 13amp spur. My question is, can i just put a wire and plug on this and plug it into a normal wall socket??

I think it says it has to be wired to a 13amp spur as it's being sold as a bathroom heater, where you obviously don;t have plugs, but for me this heater would be ideal above my door in my kitchen which has no heating souce, probably cause it's a tiny kitchen.

Any help and advise would be much aoppreciated!!

Sponsored Links
The heater will work using a 13A plug and suitable flex, the question is where would the socket outlet be and what hazards would there be in regards to the trailing flex, considering it's location?

The heater will work using a 13A plug and suitable flex, the question is where would the socket outlet be and what hazards would there be in regards to the trailing flex, considering it's location?

Cheers for the response.

The plug will be around a 1.5m away from the actual heater, i plan to put the heater above my door and run the cable around the door frame and in behind my cupboard and eventually coming out at the plug.

Now that i can do this my next question would be can i use this along with a digital plug timer, so i can programme the heater to come on before i get up in the morning??

Cheers for your help :D

Don't see any problem there, as long as you make sure the timer can take the load current.

Sponsored Links
Why do you want that in your kitchen? :confused:

It wont actually heat the air, its designed for use where theres naked bodies and you need instant heat to heat them, not the air. Your kitchen will be cold. Unless theres another sufficiently powerful heat source.

Steve is right - plinth heaters would be better.

But if you're determined to go ahead, why not rrplace that socket with a fused spur and then run the load cable concealed in the wall to a flex outlet plate behind, or right next to, the heater?

It'll look a lot neater than 1.5m of flex trailing across the wall.

Or put an FCU next to the socket?

Use a timer one and you won't need a plug-in timer either.

e.g.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back