Advice on best tool to cut curtain pole please

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello, I need to shorten 2 metal tube curtain poles about 6cm diameter. I have tried a normal hacksaw and it barely scratched the surface. I rarely cut metal so I'm seeking advice on the best tool or attachment to do the job for a reasonable cost. I will need to make 4 cuts (shortening halves equally).

I have a hacksaw frame, electric jig saw and electric mitre saw so would be willing to buy blades for one of these if you thought it would do the job. If not, would a car body shop have the equipment?

Thank you for any help.
Amanda ☺

Sponsored Links
find a way to secure the pole as tight as possible. If they are very shiny, perhaps add some masking tape to help the blade get started.
Buy a metal specific blade for your jigsaw. Do you know what fitting type it takes?

e.g. https://www.toolstation.com/shop/p21221

6cm seems quite fat for curtain poles

Surely you only need one cut per pole?

I'm not sure that you have a normal hacksaw, because hacksaw and metal go together like ... err curtain and pole.

Avoid a jigsaw blades like you would 1970's grey net curtains. Get a hacksaw blade.

Sponsored Links
I had to do something similar last year with two metal curtain poles. I used a Bahco hacksaw like the one linked. I used a blade with a reasonably high number of TPI.
As posted above, use masking tape around where you want to cut, draw the cut line on this and then use the hacksaw. Take your time - cutting into the cylinder takes time. Once you've done that, cutting through the cross section is easier because there's less metal to cut.

Also make sure the cut line is perpendicular to the pole.

Thank you all. Useful advice and tips. I will check the fit for both the bigger hacksaw and the jigsaw and browse in Wickes.

Yes, I was trying to use a tiny hacksaw from my mum's toolkit which was very cheap but to hand:D

I had trouble cutting a metal curtain pole down before Christmas and spoke to a company called Fendow.com who we bought the curtain pole from. They suggested pretty much the same technique as stealthwolf had described but they also said to use a metal file to straighten up the cut and to make it easier to put the finials on the curtain pole.

they also said to use a metal file to straighten up the cut and to make it easier to put the finials on the curtain pole.
Yup I'd recommend that. I didn't have a metal file at the time so didn't bother. Had no issues with attaching the finials.

Make sure your junior hacksaw blades are for cutting metal. By mistake I bought some wood cutting blades and they're useless on metal.

Multitool with correct blade?

makita_dtm51zjx7.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

Its mostly the decorative coating that's likely to be hard. A multi tool or jigsaw has too much vibration in my opinion so either dremel or 1mm stainless steel cutoff disc on angle grinder used gently if a decent junior hacksaw won't do it.
litl

Last edited:
They built metal bridges, ships and stuff with hacksaws long before multi tools dremmels and grinders and jigsaw and ....

They built metal bridges, ships and stuff with hacksaws long before multi tools dremmels and grinders and jigsaw and ....

Only because they hadn't been invented, if they had them at the time, they would have used them.

Only because they hadn't been invented, if they had them at the time, they would have used them.
Well I'm not sure the OP wants to buy the latest expensive invention just to cut one curtain pole, when a traditional option is available.

I hate it when I ask for directions to a Tesco Metro shop across town and someone directs me to the helicopter flight school at the airport.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back