Advice on Engineering Brick course

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone. I am having a porch built at the front of the house. Foundations completed but my builder has used only three engineering bricks of which the bottom of the lower row is virtually level with ground level. Probably one CM will be below ground level. Underneath that he has used breeze blocks. DPC is all fine and in line with regs but I'm concerned he didn't add another row of EBs to make 4 in total and this way one full row would be below ground level. Is this an issue? Appreciate any advice. Thanks

Attachments

• 20220304_211736.jpg
    20220304_211736.jpg
    595.8 KB · Views: 104
Sponsored Links
Assuming breeze blocks means solid concrete blocks then there would be no technical issue that i can think of and they are cheaper to buy and lay than the equivalent engineering bricks.
Is your concern aesthetic or functional? Or something else?

Hi John. Yes the solid type, building blocks. Concern was functional. Most builds I see have 4 courses of EBs but some have three above the blocks. Aesthetically there is no issue as from ground level up you will only see the 3 EB courses and then whatever standard bricks I choose for the general build. I think I am jut being paranoid but thanks for the response

F2 resistance bricks/bricks above GL so depends on what the spec of your block is, having said that it will be a few years before noticible spalling occurs and then it will hardly be noticible

Sponsored Links
Thanks Dereekoo. Correct blocks installed under the engineering bricks. Query was whether there should be 3 or 4 courses of EBs above these. But looks like all is in order

Thanks Dereekoo. Correct blocks installed under the engineering bricks. Query was whether there should be 3 or 4 courses of EBs above these. But looks like all is in order
Think I saw somewhere where they recommended 2 bricks below GL but ended up with one below my extension and can't say it ever bothered me

Think I saw somewhere where they recommended 2 bricks below GL but ended up with one below my extension and can't say it ever bothered me

Thanks. Mine will be a tiny snippet of EB below GL and then correct blocks below.

Structurally and performance wise, it's OK.

The only potential issues is appearance - of that joint at ground level. If it's hidden then that's OK too.

Cheers Woody it will be hidden. I've made my builder sign that off in Blood! Thanks for responses, it's really appreciated

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back