Advice on Kitchen Extractor from lighting and RCD.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, first post here - hope i'm in the right place. I'm having an Extractor fan installed in the Kitchen to run off of the lighting, so it will come on when the light is on and run on a timer for a while when lights are off - it is NOT to be used as an extractor for the Hob. My question is this - as this is an extension to the lighting circuit in the kitchen, does the 6A MCB in the Consumer unit need to be replaced with an RCBO. The cables are to be run partly in the ceiling and partly in plastic mini trunking. The Consumer unit is a split board type with the lighting circuits (up and down) not RCD protected. I had an Extractor fitted at a previous property and that was in the Bathroom, this needed an RCBO to replace the MCB under PART P, not sure about the Kitchen in this case. Thanks for any advice.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
The purpose of the extractor fan is to extract some air from the property so i do'nt have to open a window if the kitchen - why should i want to reconsider the method of install of this as i have outlined if it is an ordinary house?? I cannot see any problem in fitting an extractor to run off the lighting if the load is suitable for the circuit overload protection already in place. Some sensible advice would be nice.

You may want the fan on when the light is not.

You may not want the fan on when the light is.

Mostly though the noise will drive you mad.

Just get one with a pull-cord and switch it on and off when you do want it .

My question is this - as this is an extension to the lighting circuit in the kitchen, does the 6A MCB in the Consumer unit need to be replaced with an RCBO. The cables are to be run partly in the ceiling and partly in plastic mini trunking. The Consumer unit is a split board type with the lighting circuits (up and down) not RCD protected.
If the cable is clipped direct and therefore visible then you do not need additional protection. However because this work is in the kitchen and if you do not intend to use a registered electrician then you need to inform you Local Authority Building Control before you start the work, pay their fee and be in a position to provide them with an Electrical installation Certificate with appropriate test results.

I'm having an Extractor fan installed in the Kitchen
OK.

So why aren't you having it done by someone who knows what they are doing?

Do you really think it's a good idea to use someone so lacking in knowledge that you have to ask on a DIY forum for information to tell him how to do the job you are paying him to do?

I AM going to get an electrician to install, I have to because it's electrical work in a kitchen under PART P, I have had electrical work done before - but after being ripped off in the past - i would like to be able to know in advance what i actually need to have done and not just pay for uneccesary work. I never stated on this post that i was doing the work myself or getting bodgers to do the work - it is where i live!! I thought i might get some helpful advice on here - i'm thinking it's a waste of time now with such stupid replies. If i want to have an extractor that runs off the lights when i put them on and off when the timer ends, then that is my business, Thanks.

If i want to have an extractor that runs off the lights when i put them on and off when the timer ends, then that is my business, Thanks.
Fair enough.

Would you please be good enough to come back and let us know when you, or your family, are absolutely fed up with the constant noise -
and to a lesser extent having to switch on the light in the daytime to make the fan work.

I never understand why posters who obviously do not know what they are doing (otherwise they wouldn't be here) get agitated and dismissive of advice from people who have seen the situation many times before.

Wont switch the fan on and off when the lights go on or off as you could have a permanent supply to the fan.
sorrry just noticed timer which obviously would require the permanent live!! :oops:

Now that is good advice from the previous post about the permanent live - if it comes to it i will just have the extractor running all the time, i've decided to get the same one i have in the bathroom and that is very quiet, no problem at all. Now, would someone be kind enough to let me know what the situation is regarding the RCBO, that is all i'm asking for - if the electrician says i need to have one and increase the cost of the job - is that neccessary seeing as the work is to be done on the lighting circuit in the Kitchen only. Thanks.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back