Advice on loft beam!

Thanks everyone for your replies. Woody sorry for the layman language I use, but do you mean a wall directly underneath the vertical piece of timber? I’m not sure there is anything under there. Looking at the top of the vertical timber, there’s a small gap and it actually isn’t touching any part of the roof at all either?

Sponsored Links
I suspect it is redundant now that the horizontal timber has been removed.
You could buy a piher prop and support the ceiling underneath before removing it.

Thanks everyone for your replies. Woody sorry for the layman language I use, but do you mean a wall directly underneath the vertical piece of timber? I’m not sure there is anything under there. Looking at the top of the vertical timber, there’s a small gap and it actually isn’t touching any part of the roof at all either?
Is there a wall under those two struts?

Sponsored Links
In that case it's some sort of pseudo-truss and that timber is a hanger for the binder stabilising the ceiling joists. If it's removed then the hanger will need supporting off the truss, and that means additional loads which should be considered by a competent person.

As that loft looks like it has not been properly converted, and if you have already removed other similar hangers, then you should get advice or risk overloading the ceiling joists

Just to update everyone….

Had a SE come out to visit and take a look.

He confirmed it isn’t a supporting beam and it was put up when the loft was first built as a help for when they were fitting the main components of the loft.

Thanks for your advice on getting it in writing as well, SE confirmed all in writing on an email as well.

So the beam has been removed now.

Thanks for everyone’s help, much appreciated!

Just to update everyone….

Had a SE come out to visit and take a look.

He confirmed it isn’t a supporting beam and it was put up when the loft was first built as a help for when they were fitting the main components of the loft.

Thanks for your advice on getting it in writing as well, SE confirmed all in writing on an email as well.

So the beam has been removed now.

Thanks for everyone’s help, much appreciated!
I'm not gonna mention that's what I said :cool::cool:

Last edited:
What's holding the binder then?

I can't see any reason to have used that as a support when constructing that roof

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back