Loft beams getting in the way

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have recently boarded my loft. My late 70's semi has a large loft space, about 2.7m at it's highest. Problem is there are three horizontal beams running around 1.2m from the floor at regular intervals across the loft.

These horizonatal beams are attached either end to the angled roof beams and mid way to two vertical beams. In my diagram, it's the red beams that I want to remove. It's been suggested that I bolt the horizonal beam firmly to the vertical beam at points A and B and then remove the horizontal beam only between points A and B.

Do you think this is safe?

loft.jpg

Sponsored Links
HI,

We have a simular house to yours i think, when we moved in my dad let me board out and plasterboard the wall's and plaster, there was no horizonal beam's or anything only the verts, we have had no problems. I would say its okay, but if in doubt ask a joiner/builder if you know one.

Before you take anyone's advice on removing roof timbers get a professional opinion from a Structural Engineer because if you take out or weaken the wrong timber then the results could be disasterous. The purlins are there for a reason , namely , to stop your roof spreading outwards and downwards and trying to change that without having proper advice would be risky to say the least.

Builders don't put timberwork in because it's fun.

You don't mention if you just want to make it easier to use for storage, or if this is part of a loft conversion project. Anything this drastic requires structural engineers.

Here is one possible outcome! :LOL:

Sponsored Links
1. this appears to be a collar, not a purlin.
2. collars rarely sit so low on the rafters.
3. has any work been done previous?
4. you dont need a structural engineer, merely a competent builder's opinion.
5. most structural components can be cut, moved or changed after careful professional opinion and at a cost.
6. think through your project then call a builder and explain what you would like.

This is pruley for storage. Just had a baby and I think all of our belongings will end up in the loft.

The opinion I've already had is from an ex-professional builder. Just after a second opinion. Thanks for the help.

how much do you trust your builders oppinion
its your roof its your choice
is the extra support for heavier roof tiles!!!!!!!!!!!

all in all i dont know the answer

big all

The roof tiles are very thin, almost slate like. I've been told the beams were "strapping" used during construction.

dear robert,
the pic does not show strapping. if your only intention is to use the loft as storage then:
1. check the size and position of the access hatch/trap.
2 check the size of the ceiling joist sections ie. 2x4 etc,
3 if its safe to come and go into the loft and the ceiling joists will hold the weight of boarding and storage plus at least one person then ignore the "collar" and lay some particle board.

note: if your access is located over the stair well or other risky position then leave well alone and do not use the loft.

hope these suggestions help

If its for storage only then can you not work around them, to my mind each and every part of a roof structure is there to serve a purpose, without being rude it is quite obvious, and the removal of any integral part of this structure could have disastarous effects.

robertbullen said:
I've been told the beams were "strapping" used during construction.
No, the beams (collar) stop the roof rafter birdmouth to come off at the bottom wallplate. You can do away with all the internal upright as well by putting in 4 extra purlins with new upright stud timber 1/3 from the bottom of the wallplate, I won't tell you too much as I need to see what supporting and bearing walls you have. I'm afraid no one can help you as this need to be look at but it can be done. A roofing carpenter should be able to help you as they know the calulation.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back