Advice on New Boiler

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Sorry about this but it's likely to be a long post as I think I need a new boiler and need some advice.

My current CH system was installed when my house was built in 1985. The boiler is a Glow Worm Hide Away (Balanced Flue) with an output of 40,000 - 50,000 BTU. It's a pumped system with a hot water cylinder. The pipework is microbore (8mm) and most rads have feed and returns from the same valve. (I have changed about half the rads in the house to normal valves as the valves/rads have failed over the years).

The system has generally been fine since we moved in around 1991 and I have always used a decent inhibitor in the system. This year the boiler has started to "kettle" so recently I drained the system, flushed it, and added Fernox Heavy Duty Restorer for a few weeks. Drained the system again, flushed it and added inhibitor and silencer.

It has actually improved the situation as the only time we now get the kettling is when the thermostat kicks in and the boiler shuts off. The boiler seems to kettle for about 2 or 3 minutes and then is fine until the next time it shuts off.

I have read the article about balancing the system as the furthest rads from the boiler don't get as hot as those closest and the return pipes from the rads closest to the boiler are very very hot.

Questions - If the return water is hot will this cause kettling?

Do I need a new boiler?

If I need a new boiler how good are condensing boilers?

Finally - I am reluctant to go for a combi boiler due to the fact that the ones I have experienced at friends and relatives do not actually ignite (thus providing hot water) until a fair amount of water has actually run through them. Have modern Combi boilers still got this problem?

Would anyone actually reccommend sticking with type of system I currently have?

And FINALLY :D if I decide to go with new condensing boiler (combi or traditional) which manufacturer makes the best and most reliable at the moment?

Thanks to all who take the time and trouble to read this and offer advice.

Sponsored Links
Answers
1 No, actually it works the other way round
2 No
3 Well you dont but they are rubbish IMO compared to what you have. Although there may be pros and cons to weigh up in some instances
4Yes
5 No comment at the moment but I may be able to tell you in a few years time when they start going wrong.

FWIW I have an old thorn olympic which is still bopping away after 24 years.
Yeah its noisy sometimes but I have found a sweet spot for the boiler stat where it gives me hot water at just the right temperature and the noise is acceptable.
Like yours there is little to go wrong in it. It has got through 2 gas valves and 3 thermocouples in this time. I have only serviced it 4 times in the 21 years I have been here. I am being generous when I say that my maintenance costs are £25 a year
If it goes wrong I can easily find the fault and usually have a spare part in the van which will be a fraction of the price of any similar new combi part.

I reckon to replace mine with a combi will cost £300 a year including installation and parts that will go wrong.
I know I would fit and fix it myself but while I am working on my own boiler I am not working on anyone elses, so I have to calculate as if I was paying myself a wage.

I cannot save myself that money based on the fact that a new boiler would be cheaper to run.

Keep what you have and run it into the ground!

Sound advice from Slug!!!

As I have frequently told anyone who cares to listen.

Energy efficiency is NOT about saving money!!

It is good business for the installers and manufacturers though!!

Carbon footprints are a load of boll#cks !!

IMOHO of course ;)

OK, I have always been of the opinion that if it's not broken leave it alone. The boiler has not been serviced for a few years (being BF I believe this is not a safety issue as such) but the wife WANTS the noise sorting!!! :D What suggestions to fix the noise problem please. (getting rid of the wife is not an option :rolleyes: )

Sponsored Links
Noise can be the nature of the beast unfortunately. A con to be weighed against the pros and cons of a combi.

First thing to try is reducing the boiler stat setting. [cheapest and best if it works]

After that here some other stuff starting with the most expensive

A powerflush

Another chemical flush but figure ways of getting water through the boiler. There should be a drain off valve near it

Get a corgi guy out to see if theres a possibilty of reducing the gas rate.
Some boilers are 'range rated' and do not necessarily have to be run with the maximum permissible amount of gas running through them

Increase the pump speed

More boiler noise reducer

After that heres some less popular ideas

Move the kitchen sink so your wife cant hear it.

Apply some form of sound insulation so that it cant be heard as much whether at the boiler or round your wifes ears

Turn the TV up louder

Here's my favourite .... Hypnosis

Look into my eyes :eek: Look into my eyes :eek:
What you are hearing is the sound of your boiler working normally. It wont blow up it is just letting you know its keeping your house warm for you.
3 2 1 You're back in the room.
:LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Your current boiler has never won a prize for reliablity as far as I know, and microbore is know to be more problem prone than 15mm.
When it comes to condensing boilers, you have no choice as they have been effectively compulsory for some time.
Nothing wrong though with a good condensing boiler, provided it is installed according to design spec and gets a bit of maintenance. Contrary to common believes, they are neither new, nor unreliable.
It sounds like you have a one pipe system, a design that is well outdated as is the open vent method.
You do not necessarily need a new boiler, though you would safe a significant amount of money over time and get more comfort and reliability than trying to revive your current system.
If you choose for a new boiler, it is almost a given that you would need new pipes as well in order for the system to work properly and reliably.
Best makes are generally considered to be Bosch (Worcester and Buderus) and Vaillant, with Bosch being the hands down winner when it comes to customer (after sales) service.

Your current boiler has never won a prize for reliablity as far as I know, and microbore is know to be more problem prone than 15mm.

It's now 22 years old and been serviced 3 or 4 times. Up until now I have not had a single problem with it. I understand what you are saying about the pipes but downstairs they are buried in the concrete floors.

So this is probably another reason to leave things alone until it actually does give up the ghost.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back