Advice on new boiler!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi there

I live in a 3 bedroomed house with one bathroom plus downstairs toilet but with three other house mates. I currently have a heat only system with a Potterton boiler that is now nrly 12 yrs old and parts are getting more difficult to replace.

Could anyone please advise me which would be a better option in the long term for energy efficiency and lower bills:

(1) Retain heat only with a more efficient boiler (e.g. Vaillant ecotech) and Megaflow cylinder (with the loss of the F&E tank in the loft)

OR

(2) An entirely un-vented system. I really like the look of the Vaillant Unistor cylinder but am advised that this option will take up a lot more space in my airing cupboard and cost much more.

Price: I've been quoted £2800 for option 1 and told that option 2 would add another £1000 plus on to this. What would you recommend?

thanks

Sponsored Links
Hi,

I'd suggest you replace your existing boiler - depending on the condition of it, I have a Vaillant ecotec and it's been good for me (so far!!), maybe try the open vented eco tec? Could be the sort of this your after and might be cheaper than both the options.

Talk to your installer and see what they say, maybe ask around for a few more quotes and then see what'll be the best option for you!

hi there

(1) Retain heat only with a more efficient boiler (e.g. Vaillant ecotech) and Megaflow cylinder (with the loss of the F&E tank in the loft)

OR

(2) An entirely un-vented system. I really like the look of the Vaillant Unistor cylinder but am advised that this option will take up a lot more space in my airing cupboard and cost much more.

thanks

megaflow and unistor are comparable on sizes so not much difference in space lost,
a vaillant unistor cylinder is slightly more expensive plus for the benifits of this cylinder you have to buy additional controls.
If you have the cash i would say option 2 but option 1 isn't too bad an option either.

You could put the cylinder in the loft. Just lag it.

And the boiler if you felt like it.

Both raise issues, but only small ones any plumber shouldn't have any trouble with.

Sponsored Links
A combination boiler will be cheapest to run and install.

You can also add a gas saver that will reduce water heating by an addition
7% if you go for a baxi boiler or alpha. Although not cheap at £600.

The ecoTEC 4 series open vent model is simply a Gloworm, dressed in a Vaillant suit and sold at a Vaillant price.

It is a UK only offering; best avoided. The UK product line probably make a huge margin on every one sold. They wouldn't get away with it in the German market.

I would take it as she is losing the f&e she is going with the 600 series system boiler, if it's the 400 then i would definetly say option 2.

I would take it as she is losing the f&e she is going with the 600 series system boiler, if it's the 400 then i would definetly say option 2.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back