Advice on new hot water cylinder please...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Everyone,
I've got a leaking hot water cylinder (vented) and want to change it. I've done a reasonable amount of plumbing in my time but never one of these. I don't know how to seal the threaded fittings. Can I use fernox lsx or is something else better. I've been told that loctite 55 string is quite good. Would I use that with a compound or by itself?
Cheers, Jo

Sponsored Links
Most fittings are compression using olives and nuts.

Can be made dry or for belt and braces, wrap of PTFE round the olive or smear a little silicon grease on

Sponsored Links

Can be made dry or for belt and braces, wrap of PTFE round the olive or smear a little silicon grease on

what are you going on about not on a cylinder they are not

cylinder feed, hot supply are 1" mi fitting
and the flow and return are 1" cylinder unions.

Ok, I know they're threaded. So what should I use on the threads? lsx? loctite 55? something else...?

Depends on cylinder ,ones i use are all 1" cylinder union type and use hemp and potable paste!!

Depends on cylinder ,ones i use are all 1" cylinder union type and use hemp and potable paste!!

I didnt think i was going mad!

Hmmm - never used hemp before... how tight do I have to tighten the fittings up? I'd be a bit wary of overdoing it and distorting the cylinder.

single wrap PTFE tape, on threads of fittings in c/f and o/v, on cone of cylinder cons
cylcon.jpg

I personally use loctite 55 on all threaded joints. I don't mix it with any sort of jointing compound though.

Thanks guys. Seems like everyone has their own choice for what to use on these. I'm still not quite sure how tight I should go with these fittings though. Presumably once they're connected to other fixed pipework I won't be able to tighten them up any more?

I didnt think i was going mad!

Hi

Has anyone used Fulham Heating Merchant (London)?
Their standard cylinders are ALL male and need cone joints all round .The cold feed and primaries can be on one side (blank the spare) so the cylinder can be fitted in a corner. AND a secondary tapping.
IIRC Stanley make them.
The reason was that so many bodgers were splitting the tappings with overtightening/too much tape/hemp, they changed the format.

Thanet.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back