advice on rotten timber

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

Whilst recently in the loft I discovered the rotten piece of wood in one of the attached photos. As a result of this piece giving way, two of the rafters have split as shown in the second photo.
I've been told that a support can be made to handle the split rafters but that the rotten piece should be replaced. In order to replace this apparently access is required from outside which involves scaffolding and part of the roof has to come off.
This is an expense I can ill afford, do any of the experts on here have any comments or opinions as to why this cannot be replaced from inside the loft without the scaffolding and removal of part of the roof?

I'd be grateful for any advice.

Thanks

Shaun
GALLERY]

Sponsored Links
You will only get a botch up job from the inside. That valley leak must have been ignored for a long time, now its time to pay the price.

The roof is one of the main parts of your house, you couldnt do it from inside, the weight needs removing, you will need a new valley as well, all has to be done from outside.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back