Advice please for constructing garden building on sloped slab

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, can anyone offer advice please?

I have a 20ft x 12ft mesh-enforced, insulated and DP'd, concrete slab that I have planned to build a garden workshop onto.

Because I was originally going to build a wooden construction, the formwork was built with a 2% fall - or 3" slope down the 12ft sides.

I'm now considering bricking, or blocking, the 2 sides and rear, and making the front frame and doors with wood. It will be a flat roof to keep within regs. (Because my garden has been excavated lower than my 3 neighbours however, I may go loose with the 2.5m height limit if I can reverse the extra without too much trouble).

So, because the slab slopes down towards the front, I'm not so sure how to go about brick or blockwork for the sides...

As far as I can tell, I should use type 2 engineering bricks for the first and second course and then DP, and then blockwork up. But I'm just guessing! Should I do make the first course by cutting the bricks into wedges to make level? Or do I use rebar some way, wedge cut blockwork to level and fill with concrete? Or cut blocks to level and not use rebar? Or should I shutter a long wedge along both sides to make level with concrete - to the width of a block, and continue up with more block?

Do I even need a damp course if the slab itself is DPM-lined?

I'm so not sure. And I don't have a book to explain what to do here. I much appreciate any help or related guidance.
16474-img-3966.jpg

Of course, I can still make it from wood. I just have priorities for sound and heat insulation, hoping to maybe install a wood burner against the back wall, and I'd prefer to avoid any more wood maintenance. I think I could use some pointers from a smart person!

Sponsored Links
just make up the fall over the courses of blocks, any decent brickie will just make up a gauging rod to pull his line to.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back